We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - June 2009  (Read 62604 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Flowering Now - June 2009
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 02:54:24 AM »
Ian - That Lilium macklinae puts the pale one to shame, quite lovely.  Glendoick was selling this dark one several years ago, do you know the original source of it?

johnw - just back from St. John's on a glorious summer night.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 08:06:10 AM »
Very nice selection Luit !
I'd never seen the 'citrinum' version of Hypericum olympicum !
Love the dwarf Dianthus' too - a nice splash of colour !

My D. 'Inschriach Dazzler' is in it's 3rd season - I'm keeping my fingers crossed... lost it on previous occasions too.
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 08:25:01 AM »
Luc,
Is Your Edraianthus owerinianus from seed? How much takes it to flower? I have some seedlings from this year, they look rather leggy, and not too happy  :-\ I keep all my seedlings in quite shade, under a tree, because our spring was hot like summer (32-35°C in May!). Maybe they (the Edraianthus seedlings) need more sun?
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 08:31:45 AM »
Hello Katherine !
E. owerianus was a plant I bought 3 or 4 years ago.
E. pumilio self seeds around regularly here - I have occasionally potted up some of the seedlings and grew them on for a number of months (in semi shade) before planting them on.  They seem to flower in their third year.
The seedlings may look a bit leggy now (so did mine), but once planted out in the open, they will rapidly regain their normal growing habit.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:37:23 AM by Luc Gilgemyn »
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 08:40:51 AM »
Thank You so much, Luc!
Zone 6

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 08:43:23 AM »
Luit,

A lovely selection. The hemerocallis lilioasphodelus, a species daylily, holds up well in comparison with the numerous cultivars now available - and it is the earliest to flower as well. It also has an elegance which many of the cultivars lack.

I have a plant of Molopospermum in the garden, great big spread of foliage, but no flower yet. I find it needs lots of water from now on.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 09:25:01 AM »
Luit,
A lovely selection. The hemerocallis lilioasphodelus, a species daylily, holds up well in comparison with the numerous cultivars now available - and it is the earliest to flower as well. It also has an elegance which many of the cultivars lack.

I certainly agree with that Paddy. Some of the new cultivars are just awful and this is one of the most beautiful species

But Luit, This is the one I have as citrina. The one I have as lilioasphodelus (or flava) is shorter, darker and earlier. The pictures are first my "citrina" then my "flava"
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 10:48:02 AM »
All stunning plants Ian !  Wonderful Nomocharis - and Lilium - and....  :o

Here's some from my garden  :D

1) Campanula nitida - love the waxy flowers !
2) Campanula betulifolia
3) Edraianthus owerianus
4) Edraianthus pumilio
5) Edrainthus sutjeskai - funny name and new to me - nice big goblets !
6) Dianthus microlepis 'Rivendel' - much more flowers than in previous years  :D
7) Dianthus 'Eileen Lever'
8- Dianthus 'Inschriach Dazzler' - another favourite
9) Minuartia caucasica - some 10 years old and producing it's first 2 flowers ever !  8)
10) Lewisia x rediviva - I've posted it before but now in full bloom !!!

I quite agree, wonderful plants...those posted here, Luc are just fabulous - the two Campanula are perfection and how wonderful to enjoy the first flowering of  Minuartia caucasica after a decade  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 10:53:25 AM »
What a fabulous thread this is ... an eternal stroll around an ethereal domain.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 01:35:50 PM »
Luit,

I certainly agree with that Paddy. Some of the new cultivars are just awful and this is one of the most beautiful species

But Luit, This is the one I have as citrina. The one I have as lilioasphodelus (or flava) is shorter, darker and earlier. The pictures are first my "citrina" then my "flava"
Göte
Göte, when my plant starts flowering I am always a little in doubt, because the young buds look a little brownish.
When it is open it is totally yellow. I think the one you have as citrina is the same as my plant.
Hem. citrina is something totally different, it comes from N. Korea and flowers in summer with big lemon yellow flowers
and it smells pleasant. I have it long time but never made a picture, will do so this summer (if I don't forget  ;D).
I think that the one you have as H. lilioasphodelus is H. middendorffi, which flowers very early.
I bought my plant 3 years ago from a gardener who did not know what it was, so I have no references of being the true plant.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2009, 02:31:17 PM »
Pictures taken today.

The two Dianthus shown; have their labels hidden under a 30 centimeter mat of foliage. I think they are named varieties, and if anyone would like to hazard a guess as to what they might be, it might kick-start my memory cells.  :o

8)
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2009, 02:51:15 PM »
Lampwick,

A lovely selection. The potentilla, in particular, catches my eye. On the other hand I find phygelius a complete thug in the garden, wandering about underground to appear all over the place. I have pulled several cultivars from the garden and won't let them back in again.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 04:47:58 PM »
So many wonderful plants and skillful growers here! :) Thank you all for showing!
Zone 6

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »
John, I cannot help with your Dianthus, though the pink one is a bit familiar to me.
But your Campanula is definitely not C. carpatica Blue Clips. It looks more like a C. portenschlagiana,
but to be sure a close-up of the leaf and a few flowers would be helpful.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 05:01:04 PM »
Davidia involucrata at Batsford Arboretum today.  8)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal