We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium calceolus : natural variations  (Read 3911 times)

johanneshoeller

Re: Cypripedium calceolus : natural variations
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 05:06:40 PM »
Luc and Antony, what you said is correct.
There are clones which have dark or light flowers and they will always flower darker or lighter than other plants. If the weather is cold during the development of the flower Cypripedium calceolus will be flower a little darker generelly. If the plants have stress they will flower lighter (even the dark flowering Cyps).  I have never seen an influence of the winter temperatures on the colour of the flowers.
After the very long winter 2005 with a lot of snow (flowering time was in a cold June) I have found many very dark flowering calceolus and a lot of very light (yellow, green,...) plants.
All this is valid for the nature!
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 07:29:13 AM »
Hans,
Now I understand why Your avatar is a Cypripedium. ;D
Thank You for this marvellous selection.
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Hristo

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 07:13:14 PM »
Super series of photos, great to see so much variation in one species!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal