We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Woodlander - Disporum relative  (Read 6162 times)

arisaema

Re: Woodlander - Disporum relative
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 10:28:06 PM »
Did you ever get this one identified?

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 10:41:30 PM »
Not i.d.'d yet on the forum...but I'd love to be included if it gets propagated. It'd be great to get a closer look--it's certainly a beautiful thing.

My vote is (as I originally thought) some sort of Disporopsis. I did a quick search for images and Barracott (barracottplants.co.uk I think) has a pink, open flowered disporopsis in closeup on its site. Check it out.

Carlo
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

arisaema

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 11:35:54 PM »
Did some searching, and it looks like Tripladenia cunninghamii, an Australian native (and thus unfortunately tender).

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 11:48:41 PM »
Well folks, we may have a winner...the Tripladenia call looks pretty good.... (nice call "Arisaema" (most of us use our names here...no one bites.)

No loss that it's tender...just grow it potted and bring it in!

Carlo

Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 11:52:03 PM »
Arisaema, you are right, it looks EXACTLY like that - and remember, I've seen the original.

Couldn't find the pink Disporopsis on the Barracotts site and a pink one isn't listed in their catalogue.

Tim has promised me some seed (are you out there Tim?) so if there's enough..... It shouldn't be tender if grown under trees which is what it likes anyway. Should be OK here anyway.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tim Orpin

• So many windmills, so little time...
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 03:18:04 AM »
Thank you. You have made me a very happy lad. I love being able to put a name to this little beauty. Tripladenia it is (previously Kreysigia). Natural distribution is top half of New South Wales and southern Queensland but as Lesley indicated it seems to cope pretty well with the cold. We get down to just below zero in winter with a snow fall every year or two but very little frost. It may also cope with much colder but dying back in winter. Lesley, I have some seed for you but will see if I can get more from the parent plant.
Tim Orpin - Dandenong Ranges, Victoria, Australia - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 03:50:04 AM »
I knew he was a hero :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal