We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lapiedra martinezii  (Read 5543 times)

JPB

• My plants
Re: Lapiedra martinezii
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 11:16:40 AM »
I've seen it several times in the wild (Alicante and Almería area) and took some bulbs as they were growing everywhere. The easiest thing is to keep it alive. Watering in summer (which I did before I knew that it should be kept dry) will make the bulb rot but delivers many small bulbils!!! Now I have some 10 small bulbs of one clone ;D

However, to get it growing well to large bulbs is another thing. I water them in autumn/winter, but have not been able to make the bulbs grow...despite different soil mixes and different temperature regimes...

Does anyone have some tips on cultivation? ??? ???

I would gladly share some bulbs with forumists once I have enough bulbs from this clone. It is a very handsome plant!

Hans

NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

Juan Fornes

• Nature admirer, birds lover & bulbs worshipper
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 11:39:50 AM »
   Hans, you are right: Lapiedra is quite anundant here is Spain. They grow in different soils: they love "terra rossa" coming from descomposition of calcareous rocks but also is abundant in sandstone soils. But they prefer the stony side, growing happily inside crevices. So one of the most important things is that they should never get too wet as they enviroment, even with heaviest storms, gets dried very quickly. An almost totally dry dormant season during summer is crucial, with only some ocasional watering to avoid bulbs getting too dessicated. Begin watering in autumm, but keep it always on the dry side. Mine do well, and as they are grown in a pot outside, the best thing I can do is almost leaving them alone and let nature work with only some occasional watering because of their "potted way of life". Good luck!
Juan Fornes in Valencia, E. Spain. Zone 10 (not so bad...)

When a man moves away from nature, his heart becomes hard. (Native american proverb)

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 01:23:11 PM »
Juan, I do keep them on the dry side and they do not rot anymore, as I already changed the soil to a sandy/stony one with good drainage.

What would be the best temperature to grow it now? I can grow them in my greenhouse at 6-7C (constant temperature day and night), or in my living room at 20C (day); 15C (night). Both under and close to fluorescent lamps.

Hans

Alberto

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »
Hi, I am just back from Kew Gardens. They grow Lapiedra outside, with the pots in sand and just a cover from rain. The soil was frozen and they told me they are fine every year. The plants lookd very fine!
Alberto

North of Italy
where summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and wet
http://picasaweb.google.com/albertogrossi60

Juan Fornes

• Nature admirer, birds lover & bulbs worshipper
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 04:44:29 PM »
Hans: I agree with Alberto. I´m sure Lapiedra will appreciate differences between night and day rather than those constant 6ºC of your greenhouse and surely much better thant kept indoors. Although mine will never suffer temperatures below -1ºC, I´ve seen them growing in places that get surely -5ºC or less in coldest nights. It is nor strange these days having difference of more than 15ºC between day and night temperatures. Pots standing in sand will get an extra protection for bulbs from cold. Just take an extra care the first days until they get used to outdoor winter position: free air, daily differences of temperatures and some sun rays (even as shy as they can be up there now) I think will be the best therapy... Let us know about their development!
Juan Fornes in Valencia, E. Spain. Zone 10 (not so bad...)

When a man moves away from nature, his heart becomes hard. (Native american proverb)

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 06:03:30 PM »
Thanks for your very useful tips!!! I'll move them to my colder place. I can not differentiate between day and night temperatures at the moment, but will try to arrange that in the future.

Hans

Emilio Monedero

• Sempervivum: species and cultivars
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 07:12:20 PM »
Hello

This weekend I saw very much Lapiedra martinezii in Valencia (Spain). Is a very beautiful plant.
Sempervivum: species and cultivars
http://sempervivum-jovibarbas.blogspot.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal