We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Alpine Walks in Valais  (Read 87597 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Alpine Walks in Valais
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2009, 11:46:17 PM »
Now in shadow, like a tumbling stream, sprays of leaves and frothy white flowers foam over the rocks....

Time to head home and pick warm wild strawberries ripened by today sun.... a last look at the tree canopy and the path is quiet waiting for tomorrow.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2009, 11:49:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing your walk ... must be magical to have all that on your doorstep.  I saw Campanula cochlearifolia two weeks ago ... but not inflower like yours :)

Hristo

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2009, 05:47:21 AM »
Fascinating walks, thanks for posting.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2009, 08:02:12 AM »
You're a very observant "evening stroller" Robin !
Very poetic too !
I enjoyed the walk and the poetry - thanks for sharing it !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2009, 08:26:47 AM »
thanks for sharing your poetic evening walk :)
i love to see plants growing in cracks and crevices..love the sempervivum..do you know what species you have there? if you ever see seed.....

thanks for clarifying that its your companion that doesnt like the 25degree 'heat'..some people here start to complain around those temperatures...lol, though we can reach above 30C, havent this year;
'too hot' for anything is something you wont hear from me often in this place, where even midsummer the nights are cool-locals think its staying hot at night if its 15-16... :o, and lately we are scarcely above freezing!! ???
..in toronto i would see 30-35 with high humidity, and i loved to go running then...lol

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing your walk ... must be magical to have all that on your doorstep.  I saw Campanula cochlearifolia two weeks ago ... but not inflower like yours :)

Tony, I was so looking forward to seeing your photos after your visit here - have you posted them yet?  Normally we are not in the Alps at this time of year but nothing is actually 'normal' in our plans  ;D  I do hope we can catch up next year  8)  Also I looked at joining your crocus group but will wait until I'm in the UK

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2009, 09:11:55 AM »
Glad you all enjoyed the evening stroll Hristo, Luc and Cohan - this place in the mountains is definitely good for thoughts!  I only met one person on the two hour stroll!!!

Actually the weather is not at hot as normal for this time of year - end of this week it will be plus 30 degrees but I have a feeling that the sun rays are more intense up here in the mountains as the air is squeeky clean  ;) 8)  Dry here too, Paul, which means you don't notice the heat so much (unless you have a fur coat like our dog) You have to be careful not to get burnt and we tend to use a humidifier or you can get dehydrated at night.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2009, 09:31:26 AM »
Beautiful shots Robin, how fortunate you are to have had this stroll to yourself and your companion.  It's amazing how plants in nature thrive in what seems to be the most unfavourable of conditions, yet of course they are the ideal situation which we attempt (mostly unsuccessfully in my case!) to provide.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2009, 09:57:32 AM »
Very poetic Robin it really conveys the feelings you have in that beautiful landscape. Thank you for sharing
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2009, 02:28:25 PM »
Thanks Brain and Ian for your appreciation and yes we do spend a lot of time trying to fit plants to conditions which we create that they would prefer to find instinctively for themselves! However they could never spread their seed as far afield as the SRGC seed exchange does  ;)

Maggi, I feel very humbled that my Alpine Walks in Valais are of interest in the way in which you describe them - honestly I can say that after a period of not much creative writing I have found inspiration through Forum Members to write once again and try to capture the feeling of seeing things for the first time.  My thanks to everyone  :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2009, 02:49:33 PM »
Robin, it is our pleasure!  So refreshing to have these scenes and plants described in your characteristic way..... I am sure it will inspire many to look more closely and so enjoy more fully the wonders of the natural world. :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Angelwings

« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2009, 11:57:32 AM »
Hi Ragged Robin/Mum,
Thought I would register so that I could comment on your beautiful photos and posts. It was so lovely to spend those Spring days with you and Dad in the Swiss mountains. It's lovely to see you documenting your walks out there, you notice so many things that others would simply walk by, keep it up!
:-*

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2009, 12:00:45 PM »
Hey, Angelwings! Great to meet you...... we hold your Mum in high regard here, you know... she takes us on her walks and shares her  cogent commentary, too..... I hope you share her love of life,words and flowers .... if so your existence will be a happy one, I reckon!
 M
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Angelwings

« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2009, 12:17:27 PM »
Hi Maggi,
Great to meet you too! I'm pleased to know that Ragged Robin is such a valued member, she loves posting on your site. She has indeed taught me to have the same passion about these things and all that life has to offer, she inspires me completely.
I'm not certain that the flora and fauna in East London is worthy of this site but if I find anything interesting that would fit under one of the subject matters I will post some photos.
Tanya

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2009, 12:56:48 PM »
Welcome Tanya.  Great to have you with us.  Robin has become addicted pretty quickly to this place, just like the rest of us.  ;D ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal