We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Alpine Walks in Valais  (Read 87060 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Alpine Walks in Valais
« Reply #360 on: April 30, 2010, 10:52:12 PM »
Absolutely  ;D  I only take calculated risks   ;)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #361 on: May 01, 2010, 04:54:43 AM »
another lovely set of strolls :)
of course, who can resist spring flowers?
the ancient trees, first image on reply #347 are very lovely, a typically 'old world' image..

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #362 on: May 01, 2010, 07:20:36 AM »
Robin,
What a beautiful set of spring impressions - I like the pic with the new leaves of the birch especially!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #363 on: May 01, 2010, 08:09:04 AM »
Gerd, I love that first opening of the tender green leaves too  - and the birch does it so well :)  Individually the detail of each leaf and catkin is so delicate and at a distance they shimmer like magic and really give a Spring feeling to the mountainside.

The violets are so pretty too and I wondered if I had the right ID for the image 31 as Viola silvatica? Found in woodland but no white beards, a beautiful china blue  ::)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #364 on: May 01, 2010, 06:17:50 PM »
another lovely set of strolls :)
of course, who can resist spring flowers?
the ancient trees, first image on reply #347 are very lovely, a typically 'old world' image..

Thanks Cohan, glad you enjoyed the Spring emerging here - it has taken longer than usual and for the first time we are getting Spring rain today and everything is speeding up into true green.  I love the line of Poplars too with their wrinkled trunks and the new leaf yellow was so bright  :o  they make a great rustling sound in the wind that always seems to be present by the river Rhone.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #365 on: May 01, 2010, 07:41:28 PM »
The violets are so pretty too and I wondered if I had the right ID for the image 31 as Viola silvatica? Found in woodland but no white beards, a beautiful china blue  ::)

It might be Viola silvatica = reichenbachiana. There are some hybrids and backcrosses with Viola reichenbachiana (V. bavarica) which makes it more complicated.
Nevertheless an interesting nice colored plant!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #366 on: May 01, 2010, 07:54:30 PM »
I'm enjoying your scenic walks... so glad spring has come so that you have resumed!  I have always meant to ask, how much higher is it to reach the alpine zone/treeline in your area?
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #367 on: May 01, 2010, 10:32:36 PM »
Lovely to have a taste of your spring.  Always strikes me how we have some things in common while others are so different.  Primroses, Cowslips, Wood Sorrel and Marsh Marigold, all things I enjoyed in Wales and again in Norfolk this week .... but Primula hirsuta, wild Crocus vernus, Hepatica in the woodlands too, all foreign.

(Booked the flights last night :))

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #368 on: May 02, 2010, 06:36:09 AM »
Truly beautiful alpine walks Robin, the Alps in all their different seasons. We are so lucky to have you leading us all the way. I'm sure there is a major book or perhaps Internet site to be created from all your pictures and the story that accompanies them.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #369 on: May 02, 2010, 08:34:40 AM »
I'm enjoying your scenic walks... so glad spring has come so that you have resumed!  I have always meant to ask, how much higher is it to reach the alpine zone/treeline in your area?

Lori, so pleased you are enjoying the Alpine scenery on these walks here in Valais  - it is varied and each valley has its own character.   My walks have ranged from 1000 - 1500m I am hoping to explore higher up locally in the summer months to Lac Salanfe at 1925m and above - you can see from the link the end of the treeline there:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/2182869

Locally here the South facing tree line is at about 2000m as you can see from some of the earlier shots taken from the ski slopes in the previous walk.

However attached is the link to an article online that I found fascinating when delving into local treelines in the area and think it might be of interest:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/1552405

The slopes I photographed in this walk are mostly facing North/East and the climate here in the main valley is a micro-cliimate warmed by winds which aid high pollination rates and make the fruit (vegetable) growing so successful - the region is famous for Asparagus and Apricots.  So local conditions effect the treeline too on the south-facing slopes. 

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #370 on: May 02, 2010, 08:39:42 AM »
Always strikes me how we have some things in common while others are so different

Tony, so glad you are definitely coming this way and ready to explore the summer month of things in common and true Valaisian flora and fauna  8)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #371 on: May 02, 2010, 08:55:57 AM »
Truly beautiful alpine walks Robin, the Alps in all their different seasons. We are so lucky to have you leading us all the way. I'm sure there is a major book or perhaps Internet site to be created from all your pictures and the story that accompanies them.

Lesley, thanks so much for your support and interest, it really helps to know that these walks are of value but I'd need to brush up of ID's for what you are suggesting  :o

Funnily enough, it was because of the lack of local information for English speakers that I thought it would be good to record what I saw on walks in a personal way and therefore see things as a first time experience in more detail without the tourist promo aspect (although at the AGS meeting last year in Bristol I was asked if I was part of the Tourist Board!!!!)

I'm glad to celebrate the area I am getting to know but there is so much to discover and I love going off the beaten track with my faithful hound to bring my latest discovery to the Forum.  One thing I am learning, in particular, is how influential seasonal and weather conditions are as to when Alpine plants are at their best and where to find them.  I look forward to learning more and sharing it with you  :D

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #372 on: May 02, 2010, 11:43:30 PM »

It might be Viola silvatica = reichenbachiana. There are some hybrids and backcrosses with Viola reichenbachiana (V. bavarica) which makes it more complicated.
Nevertheless an interesting nice colored plant!

Gerd

Thanks Gerd, I agree it is a lovely colour with delicate markings.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #373 on: May 10, 2010, 08:22:55 PM »
May 4th and as the snow melt continues the next level comes to life by the river..... at 1400 metres the snow has retreated to reveal the crocus meadows carpeting the Alpine pastures....

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #374 on: May 10, 2010, 08:29:26 PM »
The sight of all these tiny Crocus vernus jostling together is amazing and looking closer the variation becomes clearer and the shape of the goblets differs too..

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal