We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 'Harpur Crewe'  (Read 2111 times)

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
Primula 'Harpur Crewe'
« on: April 23, 2009, 12:15:07 AM »
Here in Victoria, we grow a beautiful primula of uncertain name, with white flowers delicately shaded with pink around the petal margins. For many years it was locally called 'Appleblossom'; more recently, a local primula enthusiast visiting the UK came to the conclusion that it is properly 'Harpur Crewe'. However, I have been unable to find any evidence online that there is such a primula.

The growth habit of the plant resembles P. allionii, but it's not at all sensitive to overhead water. My specimen spent this last winter outside fully exposed to the elements and didn't turn a hair — if anything, it's happier than ever.

A photo is attached.

Can anyone reading offer an informed opinion on the true identity of this beautiful primula?
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Primula 'Harpur Crewe'
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 06:56:03 AM »
Looks to me like Primula x Pubescens 'Harlow Car.' Occasionally it sports to make a very pretty double in the same delicate colouring.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 07:04:15 AM »
I found this:
(Couldn't find anything about primulas though)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:59:47 AM by Giles »

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 07:26:49 PM »
Looks to me like Primula x Pubescens 'Harlow Car.'

By George, she's got it!

That makes a great deal of sense; it's very easy to see how "Harlow Car" could be garbled into "Harpur Crewe".

Thank you very much, Leslie, for you help. A mystery solved at long last, it would seem.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal