We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hymenocallis Advance  (Read 5736 times)

Heinie

Hymenocallis Advance
« on: April 21, 2009, 08:33:55 PM »
This is my Hymenocallis Advance in flower

This is my Hymenocallis Litoralis in flower

Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Hymenocallis Advance
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:01:49 PM »
The anthers and styles of these plants are very odd, are they not? What sort of pollinator do they have that can make contact with all parts? :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 09:37:54 PM »
Giant african spiders, Maggi  ::) ::)
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:49:55 PM »
Giant african spiders, Maggi  ::) ::)
I SO hope you are joking, Jamie  :-X

Heinie

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 11:15:47 PM »
Maggie,
The Hymenocallis advance style turns towards the anthers during mid morning and again mid afternoon. They do not set seed but produce numerous bulbs during a growing season. There are between 4 and 8 flowers per scape and a flower last a few days.

The Hymenocallis litoralis flower only lasts about 24 hours but it produces between 12 and 16 flowers per scape. They open in the early evening. It is an experience to watch this flower break open in a flash and then slowly unfolds over about 30 seconds. I can already tell within 15 minutes when a flower will open. I love watching it happen. The flower opens and settles with the cup in an upright position for nectar to be leaked or released by the anther over about 2 to 3 hours which fills the tiny cup completely so it often overflows. Once it is full the flower turns 90 degrees or more which then spills the nectar all over the leaves and floor. The flower settles in a sideways position when ants, flies, bees, moths, butterflies and many more insects visit the flower when I assume the pollen is dropped onto the style. I tasted the nectar which is quite sweet. This one does not set seeds either, even with my manual assistance, but also produce many small bulbs at a fast rate. It has a lovely fragrance.

My favourite is the yellow form of Hymenocallis Sulphur Queen. I purchased a large bulb from a nursery in Cotswald, UK a year ago when it gave me one scape of flowers. It flowered again 6 months later with 2 scapes. It is growing leaves now and should flower in a month or two and judging by the number of plants I hope for 4 or more scapes. Here is a photo of the last time it flowered. This one is most fragrant and is brought into the house for its beauty and fragrance. This two photos were taken when it last flowered during July last year.

Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 11:23:02 PM »
Thanks, Heinie, I am pleased to learn about these delightful  bulbs.
They are very striking to look at.... I would love to know the perfume  8)

Ezeiza

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 11:31:02 PM »
Hi Heine:

Striking images!

Presently, 'Advance' and 'Sulphur Queen' are regarded as belonging in the South America genus Ismene.

Littoralis and many others in the Caribbean/North American genus Hymenocallis.

Best regards and thanks for the photos
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Heinie

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 06:07:22 AM »
Thank you Ezeiza, I am aware of that.

There are three closely related genera once classified as Hymenocallis which are Ismene, Elisena, and Leptochiton. Ismene, Elisena and Pseudostenomesson are now considered subgenera of Ismene but they are part of the Hymenocallis complex.

The Stenomesson is another one of my favourites and I have been wanting the yellow form of Stenomesson variegatum for a long time now but they are very hard to obtain due to ridiculous prices for the bulbs. I hope to find some one day.
Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »
I was given this bulb as 'Sulphur Queen', which it clearly isn't. Then I thought it was 'Festalis', now I'm completely confused after seeing your pictures Heinie! It's a lovely plant though with a soft 'lily' scent. I 'selfed' mine and it appears to be setting seed - is this to be expected with Hymenocallis / Ismene?
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 10:14:18 PM »
I am unsure if this is Ismene/Hymenocallis festalis or Hymenocallis 'Advance'.  I have a pot of them from bulbs I purchased from a roadside vendor in Holland.  In any case, they are lovely.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Heinie

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 08:11:33 AM »
Rogan,
The flower certainly resembles the H advance like mine. They seem to set seed but abort after a few weeks when the pod just shrivel up and dry. I believe that they do not set seeds ever. They grow many baby bulbs every season and multiply rapidly. I exchange or give many away every season.

Regelian,
Yes, they are lovely as you say. I have to split the bulbs in the pots up every second year.

My Sulphur Queen should flower in the next two months. I bought one bulb from a nursery in the UK about 18 months ago and it flowered twice already and made four plants so I assume a few small bulbs in the pot too. I will divide them after flowering this year.
Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal