We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Brunsvigia  (Read 5710 times)

Heinie

Brunsvigia
« on: April 21, 2009, 08:19:51 PM »
I was just completing this Topic and photos of my Brunsvigias that flowered recently when a power failure struck and I lost it all. We are back live and here goes again.

Brunsvigia litoralis preparing to flower

Brunsvigia orientalis

B orientalis in the fore ground and B litoralis in the back ground.

B orientalis with two flower scapes. The bulb in the black pot will be sent to  a friend tomorrow. See photo below

I reverse crossed the Brunsvigias with this Amaryllis Belladonna and have quite a number of seeds from the Brunsvigias.

I am sending this Brunsvigia orientalis bulb to a friend tomorrow. The diameter of the bulb is 136mm. I measured one bulb at 215mm

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 06:10:42 AM by Heinie »
Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Re: Brunsvigia
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:36:43 PM »
Wow!  That bulb is gigantic!  I've been raising B. grandiflorus from seed and they are about the size of small onions after 5 years.  Any secrets in getting them along more quickly?  What soil mix are you using.  Mine may be too organic at 50-50, potting compost-pumice.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Heinie

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:27:54 AM »
Jamie,

These bulbs do not grow very fast. You should see flowers in the next season or two with that size.

The B orientalis and B litoralis grow in pure very fine sand in habitat. I collected a load of this sand and planted my bulbs in it with about 10% organic compost which was also sifted to use the fine stuff only. The two in the big white pots have roots as thick as my fingers and some are up to 600mm long. This rooting system carries them through very hot summers in habitat. That is the reason why my big ones are planted in asbestos pots to keep the heat out during summer because they are kept fairly dry then. The bulbs grow very deep in habitat. I have seen bulbs with the neck about 300mm underground because of natural fires in their habitat. They seem to pull themselves down over time.

B grandiflora grow on mountains in a harder soil and your growing medium should be fine. In habitat it sits with the neck at ground level.
Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:42:55 AM »
Heinie,

thanks for the info.  I had wrongly assumed B. grandiflorus was also a desert type.  My plants have been doing very well, just slow growers. I'll keep on truckin'.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 04:16:14 PM »
Heinie
they are beautifulst, :o I I have not never seen the flower of my Brunsvigia orientalis, I put a photo of the leaves, now is in rest
Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

Heinie

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 05:03:59 PM »
Alessandro,

With that eight leaves it is a mature plant already and should flower. They do not like re-potting and then they do not flower the next year or two. I mulch my Brunsvigia bulbs with a layer of cattle manure. I hope they flower for you next season. I am waiting for my bulbs to show the leaves now.

Your bulb is in top condition
Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 05:45:52 PM »
Alessandro,

With that eight leaves it is a mature plant already and should flower. They do not like re-potting and then they do not flower the next year or two. I mulch my Brunsvigia bulbs with a layer of cattle manure. I hope they flower for you next season. I am waiting for my bulbs to show the leaves now.

Your bulb is in top condition
Heinie
to this I possess it  bulb from three years, I have bought like bulb from flower, the pot is from 30cm I have fear to change the pot with one of greater dimensions, the Brunsvigia do not appreciate to be disturbed
Alessandro

Heinie

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 08:22:09 PM »
Alessandro,
You are correct to leave the bulb as is and the pot is also big enough. The brown pot with my B litorallis is 35cm so your pot is fine. I hope it will flower for you next year but put some composted cattle manure as a mulch on top of your growing medium. Good luck. You need a B orientalis now to hybridize.
Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:21:23 PM »
Heinie
it would be a lot, if I succeed in I would see flowers, but the Brunsvigia does not regulate the seed independently
Alessandro

Heinie

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 10:34:23 AM »
Here are a few photos of my Brunsvigia orientalis and Brunsvigia litoralis plants since they flowered two months ago. The leaves are growing now with the Brunsvigia orientalis leaves growing flat on the ground.

Here is a Brunsvigia litoralis with its undulated upright growing leaves. I just love the beauty of them.

This Brunsvigia litoralis leaves are just appearing above ground now.

I made a number of crosses with this two plants and the Amarylliss Belladonna above. I had good success with the germination of the seeds. Here is a photo of a few seedlings of the Amaryllis Belladonna x Brunsvigia orientalis cross. Notice the similarity of the long narrow leaves of Amaryllis Belladonna.

Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 02:41:17 PM »
Great foliage there.
Lots of healthy looking babies, there, Heinie.... happy growing!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 11:21:04 PM »
they are much beautiful Heinie, compliments

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal