We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Orchids Spring 2009  (Read 14294 times)

Hristo

Re: Orchids Spring 2009
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2009, 10:08:41 PM »
A couple of Orchis purpurea in their propagation bed, in the backgound some younger plants that have not yet reached flowering size.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2009, 11:12:19 AM »
Nice plants Chris
Do You do propagation from seed plants that You grow on, or is it offsets the way it is done with Dactylorhizas that is the non flowering plants? Or is it even self sown seedlings that are now under more systematic places?
Have not seem much (any of how Orchis behave in gardens compared to what is seen about Dactylorhizas) so I do not know if they self-seed or if they increase vegetatively or if the trick of separating the new growth from the old is possible as Ian Y. has shown for Dactylorhizas? I know they look different but not if this difference is of importance in this case.
Sorry for the many questions but Orchis is a gender that grows well wild in Portugal and I am thinking of maybe buying plants later on to have in the garden so am interested how they behave in "warm climate" even if Your winters are much harder then ours. By the way do You cover them in the winter?
Thanks for the pics and hope the many questions can get some answers.
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Hristo

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2009, 11:42:55 AM »
Hi Joakim,
All available methods, by division ( summer propagation ) of existing stock, by seed ( in-vitro ) and by seed sown in the garden and new purchases.
The plants live outside all year round, no extra protection except for southern med species. The technique used for dactylorhiza can be applied to certain Orchis and Ophrys species. The O.purpurea is established here in an upland meadow section of the property, but for propagation purposes I hold some plants in the bed pictured, the substrate is loose allowing access to the plants storage organs without destroying the root system.
With respect to growing in the garden I have had most success by mimicing the natural conditions the orchids grow in, if you want to grow woodland orchids it's a good idea to have a 'woodland' area, i.e... shade and woodland soil. If you have orchids that like drainage and rocky alkaline conditions, maybe a section of 'alpine' garden heavily modified with crushed limestone etc will work for you. It is all about experimentation, sadly it costs, and though you can read up and learn from others mistakes and successes in the end you will need to make your own errors! I know many forumists have great success growing in pots, my experience with pot culture was that long term survivability was poor, but that was my experience, I am sure others will have plants that have been with them for many years. I have some tuberous species that been with me now for 10 years.

I will post some more pics of the various 'biomes' around the garden, attached now O.purpurea in the meadow.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2009, 12:01:45 PM »
Many thanks for the answers for which types of Orchis and Ophrys have You tried the technique used for Dactylorhiza and was there some that it did not work for or is it a matter of having enough (plants/currage) to dare?

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Hristo

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2009, 12:19:45 PM »
Courage! The colony formers are a near certainty, trial and error as to the rest, sometimes it works and sometimes iit doesn't work with the sme species!

I have quickly photographed my procedure for dividing O.purpurea to illustrate the method, now is the time as the plants are in their early flowering period, if you divide a flowering plant it is then best to cut off the flower stem!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2009, 12:26:01 PM »
Some fantastic pics in here.  Orchis purpurea looks amazing.  Thanks everyone for these treats. :)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2009, 01:15:41 PM »
Chris many thanks this is great to see. All the ways to artificially increase the plants help take preassure of the wild plants so it is a way to conserve these plants.
Great set of photos very informative! 8) 8) ;D ;D
kind regards
Joakim

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2009, 01:49:53 PM »
You're a genius Chris. I'm going to try it!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2009, 02:13:12 PM »
Anthony please let us know how it went and with which ones You tried.
Kind regards
Joakim

Hristo

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2009, 06:03:40 PM »
Sadly I can't claim too much credit here, I first read of this method in a text book from the public library in Aberdeen, I first practiced it on Dactylorhizas and later moved onto other species so best of luck Anthony! General advice is once you have summer propagated the new tuber should be treated as if it is dormant whilst the remaining plant should be kept moist and a little cooler and shaded, essentially I guess you want the plant to react to the environment as if it is spring and not summer!

Joakim, as promised some 'habitat' shots from around the garden, I have plants dotted here there and everywhere, never too close together as I don't want to lay them out for the creatures that nibble!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2009, 10:40:29 AM »
Here is Orchis mascula growing in a trough. Unlike the ones I have seen in Scotland, this French form sometimes has unspotted leaves.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2009, 12:29:33 PM »
Here is Orchis mascula growing in a trough. Unlike the ones I have seen in Scotland, this French form sometimes has unspotted leaves.
I've noticed the same here in the alpine meadows within a few feet of each other
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2009, 01:41:15 PM »
Chris thanks for the habitat shots.
Anthony I saw only unspotted on the Serra de Aire while the ones in Coimbra (Portugal) was all motteled som 90km difference.
The D. praetermissa I bought did not have any spots but I think they are often spotted but I am not sure about that.
The spotting is not a sure sign just a good indication of the species.
Kind regards
Joakim

Hristo

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2009, 07:33:14 PM »
Anthony, those are some fantastic looking O.mascula, very well grown. In the UK I had Dactylorhiza hybrids growing in troughs with alpine plants and it agreed with them too!

My offering this evening is Bonatea speciosa. I have had these for around 12 years, they came from Ian Christie when they were nought but babes. After many years I discovered they generally won't flower ( for me ) until the root / tuber complex weighs in at around 1 kilo! Not the most beautiful species but terrestrial orchids for the house don't come much bigger! :D :D

Eric Locke

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2009, 10:10:03 PM »

Chris - well done for being so patient with B Speciosa .

If it grows that large ,I will give it a miss. ;D

Eric

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal