We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Phylliopsis identity  (Read 3773 times)

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
Phylliopsis identity
« on: April 09, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »
I have the following Phylliopsis.

x Phylliopsis hillieri  ‘Coppella’ (Phyllodoce empetriformis x Kalmiopsis leachiana).
x Phylliopsis hillieri  'Sugar Plum' (Phyllodoce caerulea x Kalmiopsis leachiana).
x Phylliopsis hillieri  ‘Pinocchio’ (Phyllodoce breweri x Kalmiopsis leachiana).

I can find the label on ‘Coppella’, but the other two have grown, and their labels must be buried right in the centre of each plant, they have grown quite big.

Is there a way I can possibly identify which is which, and would the species of each of the Phyllodoce give a clue? Is one more compact than the other, are the flowers different? 

Here are pictures of each in bud: (it looks like they might put on a good show in a few weeks time!)  :)

I’m almost, (but not quite) sure this is x P. h. ‘Pinocchio’ – it has buds running up a longer flower stem.
Is this x P. h. 'Sugar Plum' ?

Thanks folks.  8)
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Phylliopsis identity
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »
You have them just right, Lampwick .... the Pinocchio has those long flower spikes and the Sugar Plum is short and more "sprinkled" with flower...... not the most technical of descriptions, I'm afraid  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
Re: Phylliopsis identity
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »
You have them just right, Lampwick .... the Pinocchio has those long flower spikes and the Sugar Plum is short and more "sprinkled" with flower...... not the most technical of descriptions, I'm afraid  :-X

Thanks for the reassurance of which is which Maggi. ;D
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal