We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Logan House and gardens Sino Grande  (Read 2075 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
Logan House and gardens Sino Grande
« on: April 07, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »
After the show on Saturday looking at dwarf plants, on Sunday we went to the other extreme.  Last year we jointly visited the RBGE gardens at Logan and the independent gardens at Logan house.  I was mightily impressed with the size of the Rh Sino Grande trees at Logan house and was determined to see them in flower.  We got the timing just right.  There might just be plants this big in some Cornish or Irish garden but they are definitely the largest I have seen.  The trees must be over 40 feet high, with various sizes in between.  The problem being that a lot of the plants are self sown seedlings, so I would not attempt to name them as I could easily be wrong.  Last year I had a talk with the gardener and he offered me some seed if I came back in October.
I doubt if I could wait the 100 or more years to see them this size.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:50:12 PM by TC »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: Logan House and gardens Sino Grande
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 11:57:49 AM »
A bit of a disaster there.  I erased some pictures after I entered them for posting.  So it posted them as 0 bytes.  Try again !
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:33:18 PM by Maggi Young »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 01:38:47 PM »
Amazing giants Tom !  :o :o
Thanks for showing !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:01:37 PM »
Tom - Thanks for the Scottish garden tours.

Impressive sinograndes. They are fun to grow from seed.  About ten years ago I gave a seedling to a neighbor's father from Campbelltown and another to a friend in Kishorn. The latter seedling is already over the owner's head with very impressive leaves despite the ocean winds.  It is rather funny when the small seedling puts out its first huge leaf and keels over - reminds me of a fiddler crab.  I keep one in a tub here and it is already out of control.

Keep the photos coming.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:22:55 PM »
But they grow so quickly that you see something for your efforsts quite early.  ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal