We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocuses in the Southern Hemisphere - 2009  (Read 27007 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Crocuses in the Southern Hemisphere - 2009
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 05:07:44 AM »
   in my garden this morning there are hundreds of C, banaticus and nudiflorus in bloom
the last one spreads very fast by stolons and looks delightful in a lawn , if only it would not have such a long ,weak flowering tube , blows over in rain and wind .
   Otto.
Here are some pics from Otto that I promised to post for him.
Crocus banaticus,
119714-0

and C. nudiflorus,
119716-1
cheers
fermi on behalf of Otto
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 09:21:58 PM »
Otto,
beautiful C. banaticus and C. nudiflorus. 8) 8) 8)
Tks Fermi for posting.
Best wishes
Armin

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 05:52:33 AM »
The white form of Crocus speciosus is in fower in our shaded bed,
121080-0

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 10:45:12 PM »
Fermi,
rare to see- with yellow center- very nice!
Best wishes
Armin

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 03:59:29 AM »
Howdy All,

I have this in flower at the moment, and by definition it can't be Crocus karduchorum as it was purchased.  It has a yellow throat so that counts it out.  I'm assuming some sort of kotchyanus from looking up info on this misnaming (which is apparently common in commerce), but is anyone able to be any more specific than that?  It is beautiful, whatever it is.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 08:39:01 AM »
It certainly is a delicate colour and I love the yellow throat - a real beauty :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 09:43:47 AM »
It reminds me quite a bit of the C. pulchellus I posted on the last page, but there are quite a few differences.  I like it, but would like a proper name for it for my records as I like to have things with correct names.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 09:43:06 PM »
I think it's straight C. kotschyanus isn't it? Some years ago, what was sold as karduchorum, was actually C. kots. leucopharynx. This isn't it though, as it has a white only throat.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 10:11:39 PM »
Lesley,

I don't know my kotschyanus well enough to know that.  I don't think I have ever had straight kotschyanus, although I did have kotschyanus albus for years which tended to produce millions off little offsets but not many flowers at all.  Not sure I even have it any more, although it is probably out there amongst the pots somewhere.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 10:35:17 PM »
Paul, as Lesley says, it's straight kotschyanus. The shape of the yellow marks is typical for kotschyanus.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 11:01:03 PM »
Thanks to you both.  While disappointing to have it incorrectly named, it at least isn't something I already have squillions of.  I've actually had this for probably 10 years, but I am far more easily able to note the differences in Crocus etc since I set up my crocus garden which makes things flowering a little more obvious, plus it is out the front of my house which means I see them more often.  ;D

Thanks again.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 12:19:07 AM »
Paul , Happy Easter to you and Yvonne, a sunny ,warm day here in Melbourne.
  your Crocus is , as everyone before me already certified , is C. kotschyanus ssp.kotschyanus , "common" and prolific ,but still very beautyful .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 12:10:07 PM »
Howdy All,

A couple more Crocus in flower at the moment....

Crocus mathewii literally popped up in the last 48 hours.  The main bulb has 4 flowers or buds on it so far, and it looks like one of the smaller bulbs has a bud on it this year as well.  I just LOVE this species!!

The 3 variants of Crocus speciosus have appeared in a group of seedlings that I asked about last year when they appeared when I was expecting Crocus adanensis.  There are definitely 3 clearly different speciosus this year, although I am wondering how I would ever end up separating them.  I guess all I could do would be to lift the basket now and separate them out?

Enjoy the pics.

Added following day :  Made adjustment to the spelling of speciosus (from speciosum) as I boo booed yesterday when I posted this.  ::)  Pics are still labelled wrong but we can live with that.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 09:32:36 PM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 01:00:53 PM »
Wonderful wonderful Crocus mathewii pics Paul.

Seed of that from the recent SRGC seedlist ,(sown 24/01/09) has just germinated --unfortunately it has the look of a Dicentra/Corydalis sps ----so somewhere along the line i have mucked up  :'( .

However today i was thrilled to come across a first flowering ,(from NARGS sown March 05), of a pale lilac form of Crocus hadriaticus ,so i guess you lose some ,you gain some . ;D Will post pics in the morning .

Cheers dave.

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 03:50:28 PM »
Lovely pics Paul, just for your records the Crocus species is 'speciosus' not 'speciosum'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal