We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus from SW Turkey Feb-Mar 2009  (Read 8339 times)

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
Re: Crocus from SW Turkey Feb-Mar 2009
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2009, 08:19:05 PM »
Ibrahim, the Crocus biflorus subsp nubigena was seen near another village of Derekoyu, a little to the north-west of Korkuteli.

As for Crocus paschei, I'm not sure that I could tell the difference from Crocus adanensis   ;D   The locality we saw adanensis was supposed to be paschei  ??? ???
And no, we did not see kerndorffiorum   :(
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 08:41:31 PM »
The plant you show as Crocus adanensis matches what I grow as Crocus paschei.  Like you I have difficulties with the differences between these two.  The white band in the throat of adanensis is the only easily identifiable difference but I don't think flower colour is enough to seperate taxa.
Watch this space for news from someone who can help us!

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 09:11:53 PM »
Interesting. I agree with you that flower colour only is not enough - we had the two descriptions with us and came to the conclusion that both names would fit the plant we saw. Taxonomically adanensis would have priority, I believe. I do hope somebody can tell us, and illustrate, the difference.
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2009, 11:41:41 PM »
At first many thanks for sharing these beauty. All of us we agree that Dave's crewei or whatever is a splendid plant.
Dave, I named mine isauricus, as you see in second picture it has five lieves ( crewei can't have 5 ) If you mind for blackish anther, isauricus sometimes may have.
The features what I accept for isauricus; Leaves usually 4-7; anthers yellow but often with agreyish connective; filaments 4-7 mm, filiform (S.W. & S. Anatolia)
For your C. biflorus subsp. nubigena, I have record in Antalya and in Muğla. Korkuteli is very cloase to Muğla so location is right. I mind distributions because of C. biflorus ssp. are not faithful often.
Crocus adanensis and Crocus paschei occur in same province that is why I asked about.
I believe that your C. adanensis is very good sample this species. C. paschei has very nice golden center,
out side of petal speckled buf, shape of flovers seems me different. I have seen some pics of this crocus in a gallery of my riend. I would not like to use here.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 04:52:50 AM by ibrahim »

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2009, 07:04:04 AM »
In Crocus paschei throat is sometimes light but almost allways yellow shaded (although I have few specimens with almost no yellow in throat, but then it isn't white, it is more grayish diffused on petals, without distinct border), leaves must be grass green.
In Crocus adanensis throat is white and well defined from segments (something starry but clearly bordered from lilac part), leaves grey-green, there are greater contrast between outer and inner petals and I never had problems to distinguish my samples (grown by me).
Of course - both are very close relatives by phylogeny.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2009, 08:58:15 AM »
Thank -you Janis. I will take another look at my plants, looking especially at the leaves.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2009, 11:59:54 AM »
The pictures are stunning!!  The biflorus ssp crewei (and that other wattiorum) have definitely been added to my "needs" list.  ;D  Beautiful.  But then, so many of the flowers you posted were so beautiful.  8)  Thank you.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal