We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NORTHUMBERLAND SHOW at Hexham 2009  (Read 18311 times)

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
Re: NORTHUMBERLAND SHOW at Hexham 2009
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2009, 11:33:40 PM »
28 Tulips are not easy to show well and you have to be lucky with the timing of the show coinciding with the best of the flowering, but this low growing Tulipa shrenkii belonging to Barbara Hoyle was wonderful
29 Iris aucheri 'Indigo' again  (from Vera Buck), but it was a fabulous deep blue
30 We had one of the AGS 'travelling awards' this year at the show (these awards 'travel' to different shows around the country from year to year). The Donald Lowndes memorial bowl for the best plant in section C went to Jack Green, for this Primula 'Jackie Edwards'
31 The RBG Edinburgh returned to our show again this year with a display which won them a gold medal - you may have to scroll side to side across this composite picture.
32 Another Ornithogalum, O. sibthorpii from Don Peace (you would probably have to be a botanist to separate this from the earlier picture
33 The end of another show.......
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Peter Maguire

« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2009, 11:43:14 PM »
Just a couple of 'people pictures'
Tom Cameron came up and introduced himself and we agreed that with the little pictures we are allowed for identification purposes with our posting, you can't really identify anyone as they cannot be clicked on to enlarge them. I notice Tom has removed his mugshot, so here's what he really looks like...
Also, Ian Kidman is a well known name amongst local (and not so local) growers, but he has to go to extreme lengths to get his large numbers of plants into the show hall. It's a good job our venue is next to a supermarket.

That's it folks, I think the show has been comprehensively covered photographically, the circus moves on to Edinburgh/Chesterfield/Dublin next week.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 11:57:55 PM by Peter Maguire »
Peter Maguire

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2009, 01:39:58 AM »
The Paraquilegia anemonoides stole my heart!!!
I think I will have to pack my bags and move!!!

Helen, it is hardy here (I've seen it in the garden of an alpine gardener - albeit a very accomplished one - where it was self-seeding nicely, but if she can do it, I can do it!)   So, the message is, anyway, don't presuppose hardiness - just try it!   ;)

Lovely show photos!
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

maggiepie

« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2009, 02:36:13 AM »
The Paraquilegia anemonoides stole my heart!!!
I think I will have to pack my bags and move!!!

Helen, it is hardy here (I've seen it in the garden of an alpine gardener - albeit a very accomplished one - where it was self-seeding nicely, but if she can do it, I can do it!)   So, the message is, anyway, don't presuppose hardiness - just try it!   ;)

Lori, if I ever find a source for seed, I will.
Meanwhile , I will enjoy the pics from the shows.
Do they have these types of shows in Alberta?

Helen Poirier , Australia

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2009, 03:07:11 AM »
Well, there are gardening shows of a sort here and in the other cities across the Prairies... they tend to be commercial in nature, except for a few tables set up by the local clubs to push their enrollment.   Other than for a day out (say if the weather was really bad), I would consider the garden tours that are usually set up by the local clubs to be a much more rewarding prospect.  So, no, the local garden shows are certainly not to anywhere near the level of accomplishment of these shows... needless to say.

Meanwhile , I will enjoy the pics from the shows.
Yes, indeed!  I just meant to suggest that there may be no need to move anywhere else to grow some of the wonderful plants pictured!   :) 

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 03:14:43 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2009, 07:19:50 AM »
Hi Everyone, I must first of all say thank you to Peter for a superb show at Hexam and to Alan and Brenda for a lunch that was best ever. I just hope you can make sure that Sainsburys noted how well all the exhibitors ( photo of Ian Kidman) made use of the shopping trolleys, it was suggested by Sandy Leven we add a special class at the show for a collection of plants in a trolley, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Peter Maguire

« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2009, 10:16:32 AM »
I'm sure Sainsbury's would be delighted to see we were using Waitrose shopping trolleys!  ;D
Peter Maguire

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2009, 12:45:09 PM »
32 Another Ornithogalum, O. sibthorpii from Don Peace (you would probably have to be a botanist to separate this from the earlier picture 

They are the same - Ornithogalum nanum and O sibthorpii are the same species - but the latest name for them both is O sigmoideum
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

galanthophile

• Webshots album
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2009, 04:54:35 PM »
It was an excellent show (as always) but I loved seeing the shortia, trillium and primula in particular. I bought a few things as well :)
There are many splendid photos here. Mine are best viewed on Webshots if anyone would care to look.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/570721923hJUPiC?vhost=home-and-garden
Gal-Ann-thophile! from Newcastle in North East England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2009, 05:05:57 PM »
Hi, Ann, glad to hear you enjoyed the show too.
 Happy Birthday, by the way!!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 05:07:29 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2009, 11:04:44 PM »
Did I meet you there Ann?  There were so many people, I'm good at knowing I've met someone before, but names defeat me every time.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

galanthophile

• Webshots album
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2009, 05:17:35 PM »
No I don't think so, I normally am so interested in the plants I forget to talk to the people! Thanks Maggie for the birthday wishes :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2009, 05:25:23 PM »
My pleasure, Ann. Are you going to treat yourself to a non-birthday day out at Edinburgh this Saturday?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

galanthophile

• Webshots album
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2009, 07:59:52 PM »
I'd love to go to Edinburgh again (I was there last summer) but no unfortunately not this weekend. I've never even been to the Botanic gardens there...!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal