We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NORTHUMBERLAND SHOW at Hexham 2009  (Read 18423 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: NORTHUMBERLAND SHOW at Hexham 2009
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2009, 09:28:18 PM »
Saved the best till last. 
I sometimes have a game of "which plant would I take home with me?".  This time it would have been a close thing between these two:

Shortia uniflora kantoensis shown by Brian Davidson
Narcissus Twin Stars shown by Jean Wyllie
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2009, 09:30:43 PM »
Then you'd wonder, wouldn't you ( well, I DO!!) why it is not recommended for a cultivar name when such is demanded of non-variable species and  subspecies???? Go figure, as I believe our American brethren say.  :-\

They haven't actually asked for a cultivar name for this (surprisingly!) although I suppose if they had, it would have been to define this particular clone as getting an award and not the range of different ones   ???

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2009, 09:32:45 PM »
And thanks to Peter and all his team for an excellent show in a series of what is proving to be an excellent show year.  We look forward to next week (maybe even Mr Ranunculus may get out of bed for this one  ;D ):
Chesterfield here we come  8)  8)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2009, 09:35:39 PM »
Then you'd wonder, wouldn't you ( well, I DO!!) why it is not recommended for a cultivar name when such is demanded of non-variable species and  subspecies???? Go figure, as I believe our American brethren say.  :-\

They haven't actually asked for a cultivar name for this (surprisingly!) although I suppose if they had, it would have been to define this particular clone as getting an award and not the range of different ones   ???
Well you'd think that was the purpose of a cultivar name, but why then do they insist on a cultivar name for perfectly stable, regular species? It's all beyond me..... I am sceptical of the whole system of these plant awards! :-X Not because of the standard of some of these really fab plants, but because of inconsistencies like the naming "thing"!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2009, 09:46:23 PM »

Chesterfield here we come
Hmmmm......I have only a tiny inkling of where Chesterfield is, however, as a native, I am able to find my way to Edinburgh for the next SRGC show on Saturday 4th April.... though luckily, I will only have to sit there while the BD drives me there!! 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2009, 10:04:21 PM »
Hmmmm......I have only a tiny inkling of where Chesterfield is,

It's sort of south of Leeds and north of Derby which makes it quite handy for some of us poor souls living south of the border, and thankfully it's a darn sight nearer to me than Hexham (which was over 4 hours each way)
But as well as Edinburgh there's also Dublin on the same day.  What a show weekend it will be! 

maggiepie

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2009, 10:17:56 PM »
Well, I've run out of superlatives. ???
The plants are so beautiful, the dinner looks pretty good too and am wondering what that cold meat with pastry? on the outside and a hardboiled egg in the middle is.
Viola Trinervata really interests me as I have just found 3 Trinervata seeds germinated in the fridge ;D
The Pulsatilla seedling is absolutely gorgeous, heck, everything is.
It really is fantastic being able to see pictures from the shows.
Thanks to all who make this possible.
Helen Poirier , Australia

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2009, 10:34:37 PM »
the dinner looks pretty good too and am wondering what that cold meat with pastry? on the outside and a hardboiled egg in the middle is. 

I would call it a Gala pie but it's probably one of those things that has different names in different parts of the country?

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2009, 10:45:47 PM »
Ok folks, I've finallly returned to the land of the living and have managed to process some photographs between enjoying the afternoon sunshine in the garden.
Firstly though, a big thank you. We are fortunate at the Hexham show in that there are not many really big jobs that need to be done, but it would be impossible to manage without the help of Alan and Brenda Newton, who along with various family members, work extremely hard to ensure that the catering for the judges, Joint Rock committee members and others maintains a consistently high standard. We also have a willing pool of local group members (and even other exhibitors) who put in the odd hour or so on the door, plant stall, setting up the show, processing the results on the computer and sorting out the money to be returned to the growers of the sold plants without who the show could not function. If you're reading this, you know who you are, and thank you.
To the pictures. I thoutght that it would be inapproriate for the show secretary to be wandering around with a tripod on the day of the show, so the quality of photos may not be as good as usual, and there are probably some duplicates. However the plants were extremely good, so another viewing probably won't hurt; here's what caught my eye in the hour I had to wander around.

1 The show just after judging, showing some of the 566 entries/759 plants that were on display
2 The winning entry of the large six-pan (AGS medal), from Ian Kidman
3 Paraquilegia anemenoides from this entry
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Peter Maguire

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2009, 10:54:16 PM »
Aha, finally got the forum to accept the pictures.

4 Primula 'Pink Aire', part of a large 3-pan entry from Frank Hoyle
5 Dionysia aretioides from the same entry
6 Androsace idahoensis x laevigata from local group member Peter Hood
7 Another local group entry, Primula 'Philip' show by Derek Lockey
8 one of several Hepatica nobilis from David Boyd, yet another local member
9 That Pulsatilla 'Budapest Seedling' again, one of several fine plants from Brian Davidson
Peter Maguire

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

Peter Maguire

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2009, 11:02:39 PM »
10 Tecophilia cyanocrocus from Mike Bramley (it's not just Cyril who grows large pans of this plant!)
11 Trillium rivale reticulated form. The Farrer medal plant shown by Geoff Mawson. This plant is a regular attender at Hexham and just gets bigger and better each year.
12 Celmisia longifolia - Brian and Shelagh Smethurst
13 Ranunculus asiaticus - Daren Sleep had two of these plants on the bench in different colour forms (both flowering at about 30-40 cms high). This one was opposite where we had the computer set up, and I spent a lot of the day looking at it.
14 Draba ossetica won a certificate of merit for Robert Rolfe
15 Some of the Primula allionii forms on display.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 11:13:58 PM by Peter Maguire »
Peter Maguire

maggiepie

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2009, 11:07:47 PM »
the dinner looks pretty good too and am wondering what that cold meat with pastry? on the outside and a hardboiled egg in the middle is. 

I would call it a Gala pie but it's probably one of those things that has different names in different parts of the country?

Thanks Diane, that gives me a place to start looking for recipes, it looks delicious.
Helen Poirier , Australia

Peter Maguire

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2009, 11:13:34 PM »
16 Primula rosea is not often shown on the show bench, and even less so in the open section. This plant came from John Richards (yes, he grows the common primulas also)
17 The winning small 6 pan entry from Ian Kidman (who else?). Another AGS medal added to the haul of trophies.
18 Ian also won a certificate of merit with this Ranunculus alpestris (that's a Benthiamella directly behind it)
19 The other Ranunculus asiaticus from Darren Sleep ( I think I preferred the yellow one, just)
20 I like Aciphyllas, at least the non-lethal ones, and this Aciphylla politi looked soft enough to stroke (is it a form of A. crosby-smithii?)
21 More primula allionii entries, all grown by Ian Kidman
Peter Maguire

Peter Maguire

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2009, 11:22:58 PM »
22 The class for 3 plants in one genus can throw up anything, depending upon the season. Here are three dionysias and 2x three Primula allionii forms
23 This was a challenge to get to the show safely for Peter Farkasch - Fritillaria yuminensis
24 Another frit, this time Fritillaria crassifolia from the forum's own Diane Clement
25 Ornithogalums have a 'quiet charm' of there own. This one's Ornithogalum nanum from Alan Spenceley
26 Cymbidium goeringii. This plant won the SRGC Jubilee Award for Jim and Wilma Wright last year. Another plant that keeps improving with age (don't we all  ::)
27 Another Darren Sleep plant - Plieone 'Eiger'
Peter Maguire

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2009, 11:25:30 PM »
Smashing R. cephalanthum crebreflorum Diane. Thanks for posting.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal