We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Stirling Show in Dunblane 2009  (Read 12471 times)

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
Re: Stirling Show in Dunblane 2009
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »
13 Tom Green from our local group in North East England had a superb range of Primulas - here's Primula 'Pink Aire'
14 It was part of a three pan primula entry
15 One of several Muscari on the benches, I liked the delicate blue of this Muscari chalusicum from Cathy and Barry Caudwell
16 Part of Cyril's small 6-pan entry was this Narcissus atlanticus. Unfortunately he came a rare second in this class, beaten by a cheeky border raider  ::)
17 Saxifraga x concinna from the same group
18 Fritillaria aurea, again from Cyril's 6-pan group

It's interesting to see the number of views of the pictures going up as I'm posting. Rest assured, I'm going as fast as I can!
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Peter Maguire

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2009, 10:06:48 PM »
19 Fritillaria armena, again Cyril's small 6-pan
20 Two of Tom Green's Primula allionii hybrids - Aire Mist in the foreground, Clarence Elliott behind
21 The main area of Primulas
22 Primula marginata 'Miss Fell' - Sam Sutherland
23 Three primulacaeae - John Lee
24 Dionysia aretiodes 'Alan Furness' - a compact, floriferous form shown by Bill Robinson
Peter Maguire

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2009, 10:46:59 PM »
Magnificent show images.  Anthony and Peter - you should be very highly commended!

Looked an absolutely splendid show.  Hearty congratulations to everyone involved.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Peter Maguire

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2009, 11:15:43 PM »
25 Two cushions in flower - Dionysia aretioides from Cyril, and Saxifraga 'Your Smile' from Tom Green
26 Bob Meaden exhibited this orchid as Pterostylis pedunculata, but I wondered whether the hoods of the flowers should show more of a purple colour for this species
27 Saxifraga 'Coolock Gem' from Cyril, just to show fine saxes can be grown north of the border
28 Rhododendron 'Snow Lady' from Stan da Prato - how these large rhododendrons are transported to the show intact always amazes me
29 There were several Shotia uniflora on display, most of them from Jean Wyllie in various classes. This the best of hers, which I have been promised will be entered at Hexham next week.
30 This Iris graeberiana from Roma Fiddes was silhoutted against the late afternoon sunlight just before finishing time.
Peter Maguire

Peter Maguire

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2009, 11:20:41 PM »
31 The RBG Edinburgh staged a fine display, here are some of their plants:
32 Bellevalia pycnantha (you either love this colour or hate it - I thought it was fabulous, but then I'm just weird  ;D )
33 Cordalis integra
34 Another Dionysia aretioides
35 Iris aucheri 'Shooting Star'
36 Narcissus x munozii-garmandiae
Peter Maguire

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2009, 11:42:58 PM »
I took two pics standing by my car - the first showing people taking plants back to their cars, the second was the view behind with the signal off ready for the train from Dunblane to Edinburgh.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Peter Maguire

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2009, 11:55:03 PM »
The final batch - I thought that I'd include a few 'people' photos so you can spot the exhibitors/forumists-

37 The show hall late in the afternoon - Susan McBeath in foreground
38 David Shaw, Sandy Leven (a remarkably refreshed loooking show secretary, perhaps he realises it's nearly all over for another year) and Evelynn Stevens
39 Ian Christie and Margaret Taylor
40 Bob Meaden and ?
41 Anthony Darby hiding behind Fritillaria eduardii and F. raddeana (Jean Wyllie's plants)
42 Lastly a close up of the Ranunculus calndrinioides that Lesley liked so much

Well that's it, I'm off to bed. I hope the wait for the photos was worthwhile Maggi.
Apologies for some slightly 'soft' photos, the sprung floor was a real challenge to overcome, you should see what ended up in the recycle bin of the computer.

Peter
Peter Maguire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2009, 12:10:30 AM »
It was indeed, Peter... I'd happily have waited longer but you have come up trumps in double quick time, thanks!!  :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2009, 12:34:05 AM »
Thanks again Peter. Although paler than many I think the R. cal... is as good as any I've ever seen. Anthony and the others are very pretty too.  ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Peter Maguire

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2009, 08:59:49 AM »
Maggi,
Waiting longer wasn't an option, or had you forgotten it is the Hexham show this Saturday? It was either last night or possibly never!

Peter
Peter Maguire

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2009, 09:14:17 AM »
Thanks Anthony and Peter - great pictures of plenty of amazing plants !!  Another stunning show !
Many congrats to everyone involved!

I don't have the privilege of knowing Mr Cyril (green fingers) Lafong - but has he ever been submitted to an anti doping test ??  ::)  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2009, 09:22:19 AM »
Thanks again Peter. Although paler than many I think the R. cal... is as good as any I've ever seen. Anthony and the others are very pretty too.  ;D
I may be paler than usual Lesley, but not pretty, even on the darkest of nights. ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2009, 09:22:53 AM »
Busy week ahead for you, Peter. Thanks for the pictures and good luck with this coming Saturday.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Carol Shaw

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2009, 11:27:47 AM »
I don't have the privilege of knowing Mr Cyril (green fingers) Lafong - but has he ever been submitted to an anti doping test ??  ::)  ;)

Dope test squirrel... no one would dare!  ???

Peter many thanks for taking the time to put the pix. up - hope Hexham goes well.
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2009, 11:46:23 AM »
Maggi,
Waiting longer wasn't an option, or had you forgotten it is the Hexham show this Saturday? It was either last night or possibly never!

Peter

Tee Hee!!  Thank you Peter, that gives me the perfect opening to mention the  Hexham: NORTHUMBERLAND SHOW AGS/SRGC, The Wentworth Leisure Centre, Hexham, NE46 3PN, this coming Saturday, March 28th.  ;D
Saturday, 28 March 2009 - 12.00 noon to 4.00 pm

at THE WENTWORTH LEISURE CENTRE, HEXHAM, NORTHUMBERLAND, NE46 3PN

A69 roundabout, turn towards Hexham; straight on; show is next to Waitrose on left after Station Road.

Exhibitors will still be able to unload plants at the back entrance, but must then move their cars promptly to the car park (passes will be available as usual)

Hope you have a great Show, Peter......  8)  (Peter is the Hexham Show Secretary :) )
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 08:54:53 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal