We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seedling from Loderi Pink Topaz has flowered  (Read 3207 times)

Jamie

Seedling from Loderi Pink Topaz has flowered
« on: May 16, 2009, 07:19:50 PM »
Hello, this is my first post on this Forum and so hope that it is in the correct place.  Wanted to share the joy that I have this year because the seedling that I sowed in 2003/4 had flowered for the first time.  For the last few years of my working life - now retired - I worked at Loder Plants which is run by one of Lord Loders great grandsons.  The Loder family are famous for the wonderful Loderi Rhododendrons, a cross between R. Fortunei and R. griffithianum.

I was given permission to take seed from a Loderi Pink Topaz that was growing in a huge walled garden amongst many, many other species of large Rhodies, and I took seed from several pods.  No idea of course who the pollen parents were, and I speak of parentS as the seedlings are varied in appearence.

The plants, once out of the wee seedling stage have grown with great energy making good sized plants already.  The plant in question is well over a metre in height, bushy, and is in the midst of its new growth now.  The flowers are 5" across and fragrant, as per its seed parent Loderi Pink Topaz, the petals being waved around the edges.  I did expect a pink bud with white flowers, but no....!!!  Buds started pink, soon showing cream, and then opened with cream coloured flowers with pink stripes on the reverse of the flowers.  Two flower buds this year one producing 5 flowers and the other just 3, but wow,  this is from a plant sown in '03 / 4.  There is a tiny green flare in the throat and a hint of pink around the edges of the petals.

Sorry such a long post but I am just sooooo delighted with the plant and the flowers.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Seedling from Loderi Pink Topaz has flowered
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09:27:42 PM »
Firstly welcome to the Forum Jamie, and secondly congratulations on your seedlings. The Forum is usually a little quieter over the weekend period so it may be a while before the Rhodo fanciers catch on but I'm sure you will get lots of feedback on this one.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 06:02:32 AM »
Congratulation Jamie.  It's a beauty!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 10:09:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum from me too Jamie !

Wow ... I can understand your delight on this achievement - what a gorgeous looking giant flower !!! :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 04:25:37 PM »
Hello, Jamie, a very warm welcome to you! How exciting to have such a fine flower from your seedling. It is a really good size , isn't it? Love the shape and colour and, for me, the best thing of all is that it has a fine scent. As you have now retuired, this rhodo is a better memento of your working life than any clock, isn't it? A living reminder of a line of great plants. No wonder you are pleased with the first flowers, anyone would be thrilled!!
And who knows what other gems may result from the other seedlings.... even if you have to wait a few more years for them to come to flower, this first precocious appearance of such quality is a terrific reward . Thanks so much for showing us.
I'd be interested in seeing the whole plant,  to appreciate the whole package!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:16:20 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jamie

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 02:55:27 AM »
Thank you all for such kind comments.  I will get a photo of the plant tomorrow but it will not be a very good photo because as can be seen in the first three photos the Rhodo is growing in the midst of many other plants  :-[  My garden is FULL to bursting with plants, I have been sowing Camellia seeds too !!!  Sooooo anoying that my neighbours want their gardens for their children to play in.....   ::)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 06:13:44 AM »
Oh, but a rhododendron jungle is exciting for playing in.
You just have to make sure the plants are big enough
when you put them next door.

One of our B.C. growers uses a crane to move his rhodies.
His job involves big construction, so he owns the crane,
but I'm sure you could rent one.  Wouldn't the children
be surprised.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Jamie

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 05:36:50 PM »
OK, here goes.  The photos show the plant to be a very bushy Rhodo., the new growth is shown plus a photo of the trunk, it is going to be a nice peeling bark.  Do you think that I should have pruned the lower branches ?  Some of the other seedlings have much longer trunks, but this one seems determined to go as wide as it is tall.  As mentioned it is now about a metre tall but is growing FAST, no idea how my garden will cope with it.....

My real name is Sue, Jamie was my darling nephew who was killed a few years ago.  I sooo want to grow a plant from seed, either Rhodo or Camellia, that is worth registering in his name.  This Rhodo survived the Winter planted where it is now, so it is nice and tough.

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 01:28:38 AM »
What a lovely memorial that will be.

If it propagates well, then all the family members could
grow one.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal