We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ipheion  (Read 9155 times)

Alessandro.marinello

Ipheion
« on: March 09, 2009, 11:10:26 PM »
Ipheion peduncularis rudolf fiedler and I. uniflorum
Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Ipheion
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 04:09:57 AM »
Is this the correct name for 'Rolf Fiedler?' I have it as Ipheion peregrinans 'R F'
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:36:33 AM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 07:40:09 PM »
Is this the correct name for 'Rolf Fiedler?' I have it as Ipheion peregrinans 'R F'
you have reason, Ipheion see Nothoscordum dialystemon, how much says (PBS )
Ipheion 'Rolf Fiedler' This is an unnamed species, but is not considered to be Ipheion uniflorum. It has bright blue flowers. This is another plant in this complex that is controversial. Some feel Rolf Fiedler is really Tristagma peregrinans P.Ravenna but this plant has not been verified by anyone except for the person who named it.

Onion

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 07:55:22 PM »
Alessandro your Ipheion unifolium has a clear white flower :o. The type I have is with a light blue touch? Is it possible that I have a cultivar?
Sorry no pictures available at present. I think at the end of March I. unifolium will bloom here.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:15:03 PM »
Alessandro your Ipheion unifolium has a clear white flower :o. The type I have is with a light blue touch? Is it possible that I have a cultivar?
Sorry no pictures available at present. I think at the end of March I. unifolium will bloom here.
Onion
the form white  exists, but rare

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
The pale blue form is usually listed as 'Wisley Blue.' The so called white which we have here in NZ is not quite white, but closer than the very pale blue. However, the best and whitest is 'Alberto Castillo' which has a large flower with long pointed petals and is a solid, even colour, very white.

My reference for I. peregrinans 'Rolf Feidler' was from the AGS Bulletin, in an article by Tony Hall at the RBG, Kew.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 08:12:56 PM »
........ and thanks to the Taxonomists they are Tristagmas now.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 08:54:10 PM »
they are convinced that the genus Ipheion us reservoirs other surprise in future

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 03:18:10 AM »
However, the best and whitest is 'Alberto Castillo' which has a large flower with long pointed petals and is a solid, even colour, very white.
These were taken last August of Ipheion uniflorum grown from seed of "Alberto Castillo"
111024-0

111026-1

111028-2

I seem to remember that Paul T and I had a discussion about this variety on the Southern Hemisphere thread back then.
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 03:21:35 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 03:55:08 AM »
It looks pretty true Fermi. I have some unflowered (6month) seedlings of AC, just to see what happens. My RF has not set seed.

Ezeiza

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 02:28:24 PM »
Dear Lesley:

This is what we have been advicing against. Being a rapidly offsetting plant, growing it from seed will bring forth inferior forms. This has happened in countless occasions and led to the disappearance of outstanding cultivars, replaced by variations from seed.

Alberto Castillo
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 09:24:11 PM »
Oh. I just planned to see if there was something different, but I'll take your warning, and dispose of them now. So I take it that the named forms we currently have, such as 'Alberto Castillo' and 'Charlotte Bishop' are sports? or maybe forms from the wild, not seedlings of the original?

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 02:49:40 AM »
Oh. I just planned to see if there was something different, but I'll take your warning, and dispose of them now. So I take it that the named forms we currently have, such as 'Alberto Castillo' and 'Charlotte Bishop' are sports? or maybe forms from the wild, not seedlings of the original?
Disposing of them may be a bit drastic - just labelling them properly, i.e. as "ex Alberto Castillo" unless someone misconstrues that to mean that Alberto sent them to you! Paul's form of Ipheion "Alberto Castillo" are different enough from mine to convince me to re-label mine as "ex AC".
Alberto,
are you able to tell us about this ipheion which has been named for you?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 05:37:06 PM »
I'm always very careful about such labelling Fermi. I have these as
       Ipheion uniflorum
seed from I. u. 'Alberto Castillo'

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 09:24:11 PM »
Hello,

It is strange that IPHEION cultivars lead to to such confusion due to incorrect  plant  labelling ( or sometimes no label at all ). Last year I've purchased a "white form". No more explanations. I think it's probably " Alberto Castillo" which cultivar is sometimes depicted with light blue flowers. I have a description of 4 species from a french nursery:
I pelegrinans "Rolf Fiedler":Blue rounded petals
I uniflorum "Alberto Castillo": pure white with large glaucous leaves
I uniflorum "Charlotte Bishop": dark rose
I uniflorum "Froyle Mill": purple-violet pointed petals with white center
I've bought "Alberto Castillo" and "Charlotte Bishop" but they didn't match the description.
I'll put a photo of some of my plants if someone can re-identify them...
Regards
Jean-Patrick
Lyon / FRANCE

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal