We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus natural habitats.  (Read 3108 times)

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
Crocus natural habitats.
« on: February 28, 2009, 06:34:42 PM »
 Hello all, I am Arda from Turkey. I found this website on google, while searching for something about bulbous plants and couldn't stop myself to join. Firstly I wanted to thank you for this greatwebsite, is really  amazing.
 I have a special interest for bulbous plants, especially for crocus. Thus I started to look for crocus species to make a collection. But I want it to be gathered from natural species. I have 3 different species so far, which live in Turkey. So my question is which species live in which places so I don't get false hopes to get some species which I can never get. I couldn't find a direct source and thought this place would be a good place to ask.
Thanks .
in Eskisehir / Turkey

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Crocus natural habitats.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 06:52:01 PM »
hi Arda welcome to the forum. We have a few Crocus experts in here who will answer your questions
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gerry Webster

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 06:54:36 PM »
Hello Arda, welcome to the Forum.
For Turkish plants, the book "The Bulbous Plants of Turkey" by Turhan Baytop & Brian Mathew would  be useful. Baytop was professor at the University of Istanbul but I don't know whether the book was ever published in Turkish; the English language edition  has a summary in Turkish at the back. The standard work on crocus is "The Crocus" by Brian Mathew but this has been out of print for a long time & is very expensive to buy. There is also "Flora of Turkey" but you would need a good library for this. Good luck!
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
Thanks for your reply and welcome :)
Well I was thinking of a small list-like thing not a very comprehensive book. I know the book will be very useful tough. At least according to your knowledge&experience can you make a guess how many species live in turkish flora?
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Gerry Webster

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 08:24:56 PM »
Arda - according to Baytop & Mathew, about 30 species of crocus are native to Turkey. Ibrahim, a forumist who lives in Istanbul, should be able to provide local knowledge.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:35:44 PM »
Thanks so much!
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 09:01:33 PM »
Arda

you live in a great area for crocus species. Both Ulu Dag and Bolu(Lake Abant) are within easy reach and each has several species which are easy to find.

Ulu dag has both Crocus chrysanthus and C. biflorus in great numbers on the way up and at the top in the ski area are masses of C. gargaricus.

Around Lake abant are  C biflorus, abantensis and ancyrensis.

In your immeadiate area is C. danfordiae which grows on the limestone outside Kutahya
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 09:18:58 PM »
Thanks sir, Kütahya is really close to my hometown 1hour distance. Others are further but I will force my sources and reach those beauties I hope
Thanks again for all your replies^^
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 09:32:24 PM »
A warm welcome Arda -
This is the best forum.  ;)
Best wishes
Armin

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 09:38:18 PM »
Absolutely it is.
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal