We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione grandiflora  (Read 6189 times)

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
Pleione grandiflora
« on: February 22, 2009, 03:25:37 PM »
My first P. grandiflora is not a success !

The flower bud was nice until yesterday : I've just seen it's now aborted and getting brown  :(
I don't understand why : plants are all in a cool place ( between 3 and 9°C ) and dry.

Other sp flower buds are growing, P. forrestii is in full flower.

Any advice ?

thank's,

fred
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

johanneshoeller

Re: Pleione grandiflora
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:50:41 PM »
Have you a pic.
I Keep the Pleiones very cold (if possible -0°C or a little colder/warmer). Forrestii is flowering in China in May!

Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Pauli

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 05:33:04 PM »
Fred,

how long do you grow the plant already?
If it is a new acquisition, perhaps the problem occurred before you got it.

I overwinter grandiflora around 5 C and have no big problems. I mist them at least every second week!
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 09:25:36 PM »
Pauli,

this sp is a new acquisition !
so let's see next year ?  ;D

Hans,
I just took a pic :

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:56:08 AM by BULBISSIME »
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:25:35 AM »
Hi Fred,

Aborting bulbs are something I am also familiar with I'm afraid...  ::) :'(

I often have the problem with Pl. forresti.. but also with other species and hybrids... sometimes after a warm spell... sometimes for no obvious reason...

I asked Ian Butterfield once and his answer was : "Well... that's what they do every now and then"... he had no explanation either.

Maybe somebody else has ideas on this subject ?
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

johanneshoeller

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 11:20:26 AM »
Fred,
I think it is because the stress due to the shipment and a not correct storage.
If possible keep them colder the next year (0°C - 3°C).
As Luc has written it is a general problem with forrestii (and not so with grandiflora - I think).
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 12:37:20 PM »
I had this problem with P. forrestii last year but thays are flowering now, perfectly !

You're right : that's plants mysteries !
thank's,

Fred
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 11:01:16 AM »
As others have said, this seems to happen mainly as an effect of temperature. Imported bulbs have often been stored at incorrect temperatures. Then during their flight from China (or wherever) the temperature in the cargo hold can be bad for them. They then may get stored at a different temperature again at the importing nursery before finally getting to you, maybe through the post where again they may have varying temperatures on their way. Most bulbs affected in this way will flower normally next year (as long as they grow well this year).

There is another, different problem where well-developed buds on plants you have owned for a few years turn limp and brown and fail to open properly. I believe this may be due to the humidity being too high too early in the year. I have this problem much more in a glasshouse heated by gas (which produces water vapour) than in one heated by electric.

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 01:22:29 PM »
There is another, different problem where well-developed buds on plants you have owned for a few years turn limp and brown and fail to open properly. I believe this may be due to the humidity being too high too early in the year. I have this problem much more in a glasshouse heated by gas (which produces water vapour) than in one heated by electric.

Paul

Very interesting Paul - I've also encountered this problem in the past.
However, I pot my bulbs at the end of January and from then on they remain in my unheated but frostfree veranda where the atmosphere would be rather too dry than too humid I believe.
Although the veranda is well aerated it may get pretty warm (+25°c) on sunny early Spring days (we have'nt had that problem this year yet....  :-\  )
This had lead me to believe that it's the excessive (early season) heat that is detrimental to the develloping buds...  :-\
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
That's interesting Luc - we obviously need more observations to get to the bottom of this. Has anyone else had this problem?

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 05:22:44 PM »
I think the main problem is already mentioned by Paul. If bulbs are sent via Royal Mail etc they sit in a nice warm office for part of the day before being collected and then probably somewhere cold again. Change in temperature can break dormancy and they then flower to soon which is not suitable for the flower which aborts. I've had it many times in the past and now buy FS-1 bulbs more than flowering as they are cheaper and bank on the fact they will flower in one years time. Some like forrestii will abort very easily but I should have a good show soon as they seem to be doing well this year with some very deep yellow ones. Fingers crossed.

David

johanneshoeller

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 06:25:08 PM »
I never had such problems, only after a late shipment. I keep my Pleones very cold in winter. So all my Pleione forrestii are sleeping very well now.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 06:27:28 PM by johanneshoeller »

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 04:33:48 PM »
My Pleione forrestii were moved without my knowledge from a nice cold spot in the garage on to a bench in the garage with a sunny window in front of it >:( I opened the box and found 3 nearly in flower which aborted very quickly. Think I'll need one of those heavy treasure chests in future with a big lock on key ;)

dan_t

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 02:39:57 PM »
I moved my grandiflora from it's 'cold storage' into the house for the it to flower. The bud, which was just about to open, stopped it's progress entirely, and then went brown. This was within a week. I just cursed myself for not waiting for it to open before moving it!

Dan

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 03:34:30 PM »
So that makes sudden temperature changes also as a possible reason for aborting buds...  :-\
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal