We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Benmore Gardens 2009  (Read 10780 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Benmore Gardens 2009
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2009, 06:19:27 PM »
Crikey, Tom, that's tough, though good that you can find a plus side to the situation  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2009, 10:00:39 PM »
Tom, thanks for your superhuman effort in the circumstances to bring such lovely visions from Benmore Gardens to my computer - I confess to love ferns of all types and think they add a great deal of character to plantings or as specimens.  What a contrast their green is to the outstanding Autumn colours you captured, in particular the Sorbus  8)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2009, 08:48:48 PM »
Stunning photos Tom, thank you.  I hope your health improves.  I look forward to your visits to this garden.

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2009, 12:30:12 AM »

Does anyone know what the tree fern is in Fernery 015?  I love the trunk of it and am wondering what type it is?

Thanks.
Looks like an incipient tree-fern Paul.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2009, 05:24:42 AM »
Lesley,

Sorry, I've only just seen your response.  Are you meaning insipid (i.e etiolated in this case?), or is the insipient a particular name?  The frond bases left on the trunk are quite distinctive, so I don't think it is one of our "usual" southern hemisphere tree fern, or at least the ones I am familiar with anyway.  It is obviously a tree fern of some description, but I quite like the linear arrangement of the frond bases, which are quite different to ours here as far as I know?  Thanks for the response.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2009, 09:34:45 PM »
My mistake Paul for not reading your post properly. I didn't notice that you said a TREE fern, just saw FERN. I called it incipient because it is still immature, with just fronds from the base, no trunk yet.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2009, 09:36:24 PM »
even worse Paul, I was looking at the wrong picture, 2009 19 17 Fern. ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:37:59 PM by Lesley Cox »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2009, 10:03:31 PM »
Lesley,

I'm glad you mentioned that... I was going to ask which pic you were looking at, because there is a LOT of trunk on the pic I was referring to.  :D  A nice fern, whatever it is.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal