We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2009  (Read 79875 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Hepatica 2009
« Reply #195 on: March 31, 2009, 06:44:50 AM »
Gerhard,

Beautiful!!  The double forms look so precise!!  Perfect!! 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Gunilla

« Reply #196 on: March 31, 2009, 06:58:40 AM »
Gerhard, those double flowers are like small jewels, perfectly formed and very desirable.  Does your semi-double have pollen ?
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Gunilla

« Reply #197 on: March 31, 2009, 12:21:16 PM »
My first and only double hepatica japonica flowers. I put this tiny plant out in the garden a year ago and as this winter has been colder than usual I didn't think it would make it out there.  It did  ;D.

Hepatica nobilis var. japonica 'Orihime'

Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #198 on: March 31, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »
Very Very nice
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Ewelina Wajgert

• My website
« Reply #199 on: March 31, 2009, 04:44:09 PM »
Here is one of our Hepatica frames. The plants are planted in the soil (without pots)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:22:36 PM by Ewelina Wajgert »
Ewelina Wajgert, Cracow, Poland;
http://waja.strefa.pl

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
« Reply #200 on: March 31, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
Gerhard, those double flowers are like small jewels, perfectly formed and very desirable.  Does your semi-double have pollen ?

I have found the shown Hep. nob. semi-double last year. The plant has got enough antheren ( correct english word ?), but I believe that it doesn`t distribute pollen.It would be the first semi-double Hep. nob. ssp. nob. .....

I`ll inform you, next week it should  be in bloom.
Gerhard
....from the South of Austria, near the border to Slovenia

www.cypripedium.at

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
« Reply #201 on: March 31, 2009, 05:05:04 PM »
Gerhard,
Your plants are wonderful.

By the way, I will ask you, do you know the garden of Zenz near Graz? I was there many years ago and I'm interested, if this garden exist still.

I have studied a short time in Graz, but don`t know this garden.In three weeks there is a market at the Botanical Garden.I promise to ask !
Gerhard

www.cypripedium.at

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #202 on: March 31, 2009, 05:51:03 PM »
I have found the shown Hep. nob. semi-double last year. The plant has got enough antheren ( correct english word ?), but I believe that it doesn`t distribute pollen.It would be the first semi-double Hep. nob. ssp. nob. .....

It certainly looks to be capable of producing pollen. I really like the green effect in the middle. As I'm new to Hepatica, I would like to know if it does produce vuiable pollen.  (Übrigens, der Mehrfach ist 'anthers')
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #203 on: March 31, 2009, 05:55:15 PM »
Gerhard and Gunilla those are very nice doubles. The one I'm going to show later isnt so hot compared to yours :-\
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
« Reply #204 on: March 31, 2009, 06:42:39 PM »

It certainly looks to be capable of producing pollen. I really like the green effect in the middle. As I'm new to Hepatica, I would like to know if it does produce vuiable pollen.  (Übrigens, der Mehrfach ist 'anthers')

It is necessary to obtain it with a magnifying glass if anthers are open and distribute pollen. Never till yet has been founded a semi-double Hepatica with open anthers. Professionals have told me that every year japanese breeders come to Germany , for the search of a semi-double Hep. nob. ssp. nob. with open anthers ( with the aim of breeding hard filled hybrids of japanese Hepatica and Hep. nob. ssp. nb.).
Gerhard

www.cypripedium.at

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #205 on: March 31, 2009, 07:15:11 PM »
Gerhard,
Your plants are wonderful.

By the way, I will ask you, do you know the garden of Zenz near Graz? I was there many years ago and I'm interested, if this garden exist still.
Ewelina, I think that the garden still exists.
Mr. Zenz has published a small auto-biography in 2004, when he was still active.
He must be in his mid 70's now.
It made me curious too and I hope to find this garden this summer.
But I am not sure, so hope that Gerhard can tell us more.
If you can read German, I could send you the story by E-Mail. It's a PDF, 2.69 MB.
I found this story when I was looking for a special tree or plant when googling.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Ewelina Wajgert

• My website
« Reply #206 on: March 31, 2009, 08:33:08 PM »
If you can read German, I could send you the story by E-Mail. It's a PDF, 2.69 MB.

Luit
Yes, I speak German and read willingly this document.

I was by Zenz in year 19XX, it was so long ago. But I remember his rock garden. It was in March and the garden was under snow.
Ewelina Wajgert, Cracow, Poland;
http://waja.strefa.pl

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #207 on: March 31, 2009, 10:23:09 PM »
I seem to remember a couple of weeks ago promising to post some pictures of some double Hepatica japonica cultivars. My plants are still small, so I thought people might like to see these flower studies that I've taken over the past few days to capture a memory of this year's flowering season which is drawing to a close here:

1 Kuetsu
2 Unabara
3 Asahi
4 Kougyoku
5 Ryugetsu
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #208 on: March 31, 2009, 10:25:34 PM »
6 Un-named seedling
7 Shikouden
8 Shirayuki
9 Another un-named seedling

Peter
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Iris

• Iris Ney
« Reply #209 on: March 31, 2009, 10:34:49 PM »
Wow, how many wonderful plants! I which I could also get such beautiful seedlings one day!

Does any body have an idea what Hepatica this could be? I bought it 2007 without a flower as Hepatica nobilis. The leaves were nicely marbled. Now I find it having two green flowers like this. Unfortunately I just saw the flower now as it is almost over (I think I stayed too long in the U.K. this spring :-\), but you can still see that the stamens seem to be pinkpurple. I can take a picture of the leaves when they come out. Hepatica nobilis var. japonica?
The plant has survived temperatures with less than -13 °C this year and with me it was a bit slow to establish in the garden.

Greetings from Iris

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:39:06 PM by Iris »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal