We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione early 2009.  (Read 74692 times)

PJ

Re: Pleione early 2009.
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2009, 07:31:15 PM »

With regard to Rakata "Rock Dove". I have my doubts, if it is really a Rakata at all !!, as it is so different to the others,flowers much earlier and also sits on very tall stems unlike the rest . Possible Rogue I think .

With regards to Rakata "Rock Dove" I agree with you Eric it appears to be way out of character compared with other Rakatas. Could this have come from a re-cross of Rakata?

Peter.
Peter
Northolt UK.

PJ

« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2009, 07:40:56 PM »
Hi Maxime, nice selection of Pleiones you have.

With regards to the colour intensity of the photos, have you tried taken your photos with daylight behind or from the side with more shading behind the flowers? I have found photo taken towards a window you can loose colour on the subject. If this doesn’t help check the camera has the right light setting.

Peter.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 11:30:59 PM by PJ »
Peter
Northolt UK.

Maxime_P

« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2009, 07:47:56 PM »
There were windows all around me except behind me (brick wall) ...

I don't want to look selfish, but I grow plants first of all for myself  8) ;D (even though I like sharing what I own)
Maxime

Eric Locke

« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2009, 08:31:57 PM »

Peter

Rakata Rock Dove could well be a re-cross as this grex was first registered way back in 1982.
Rock Dove is far too vigorous a clone to have taken so long too appear I feel. This is a clone from Ian Butterfied who first registered Rakata, but as anyone with a reasonable collection will know, it is not uncommon for rogues to appear in the pans. Bulbils seem to fall everywhere at times and this I would think is the more likely way a rogue appears.

Peter/Maxine

You are correct Peter about the darker background improving the flower colour on photos, which is why most of mine are surrounded in moss . An easier way, but not so nice in my opinion, is simply to place a dark piece of card behind the pot.
I find also that the colours are far better if the shot is taken in shade rather than in any sunlight. Often further correction of white balance is still needed to render a truer colour.

Eric

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2009, 08:48:16 PM »

I don't want to look selfish, but I grow plants first of all for myself  8) ;D (even though I like sharing what I own)
I enjoyed your photos, Maxime, thank you!

P.S. Hope you had a good birthday yesterday, Maxime! Many Happy Returns o 8)f the Day!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:05:23 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Harberd

« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2009, 09:59:23 PM »
Hi Maggi,
   Apologies for any inconvenience caused regarding pixel width.
I've spent half an hour fiddling with the various image manipulation freebies on my computer and
I THINK I can comply in future!

(I guess the software I'm using is fairly crude.)

Hi Maxime,
   regarding the difference between Vesuvius forms, I posted a few photos of my favourite (V.Ember) on the
'Pans of Pleiones' thread before Christmas. (That thread is now on the second page of subjects)

Those photos are bigger,.... sorry!!!

Tim DH

PJ

« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2009, 11:29:34 PM »

Maxime

My intension was not to criticise and I also enjoyed your photos and hope to see more in the weeks to come.

Peter.
Peter
Northolt UK.

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2009, 06:00:08 PM »
My first two out, P. shantung Gwen and P. krakatoa. The krakatoa looks a bit different from previous years, the petals are much rounder this time, paler too..but the colour does vary a bit year by year.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Eric Locke

« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2009, 09:41:29 PM »
Mark

Shantung "Gwen" is a very nice clone that is not often seen now. I have found this a struggle to keep going! This was a re-cross made by John Mitchell many years ago ,alongside "Top Score" which is a crystaline white clone.
I wonder if your Krakatoa opened yellow before changing to this colour, as many do ?

Eric

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2009, 09:48:38 PM »
hi, the Krakatoa was a deeper pink other years. I was a bit disappointed when it first flowered as I didn't have any yellows.

"Top Score"..yes, sigh. I had it twice, never lasted. Lovely thing. Oh well we will see what else comes out this year.

The year before last I failed to do the yearly repot. If anything when I repotted in February this year the plants seemed better for it.
Oxford, UK

Eric Locke

« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2009, 10:06:29 PM »
Mark

If you like a nice yellow Krakatoa try "Dorset Cream".

Eric
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:23:44 PM by Eric Locke »

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2009, 12:06:24 AM »
Very nice Eric. Currently I'm on a non replacement of Pleiones..they just maintain themselves here and the collection is slowly dwindling..I think this is now the second times it's happened so I guess they are trying to tell me something. I do like them but they are ambivalent about me.
Oxford, UK

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2009, 08:41:04 AM »
Mark and Eric,

Love the Krakatoa - will have to try it sometime.

I'm growing shantung Topscore (in its 3rd year now) :
1 flower first year but a rather small pseudobulb at the end of the season.
no flower second year but the bulb seemed to have recovered at the end of the season.
now presenting a fat bud which will hopefully result in a flower in a couple of weeks (maybe even a double flowered stem).
No bulbils as yet - so definitely not multiplying easily.

Mark,
You shouldn't let go Pleione... at the time, your website was one of the triggers to give me the P. virus...
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2009, 05:46:55 PM »
Beautifull apricot flower Rob !
How do you manage the seeds ?
Do you have in vitro laboratory ?
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Tim Harberd

« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2009, 11:03:36 AM »
Hi Folks,
   At last! the season has started here!!

I'm thinking of taking this little fellow to the Chesterfield Show (S40 3NS) on Saturday to see what the judges think.
   Anyone else going?

It's an Edgecombe, not the biggest of flowers, about 85mm across at the moment, but that actually reduces as the petals sweep back!

Tim DH

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal