We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione early 2009.  (Read 74581 times)

LarsB

• The Fearless One
Re: Pleione early 2009.
« Reply #300 on: September 16, 2009, 06:21:57 PM »
Sorry Chris, no bulbils on lageriana, so it won't be in the goodibag. I don't know if they ever set bulbils.
Lars in Roedovre, Denmark.

Hristo

« Reply #301 on: September 16, 2009, 07:27:37 PM »
Oh well..... Lars excuse my ignorance but is this a species or a primary hybrid? Only two hits when I googled 'lageriana'.
Cheers
Chris
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »
You are searching the wrong thing, I think, Chris....     
Paul's pleione website tells me this:   x lagenaria   =  Pln. maculata x Pln. praecox    hort. (natural hybrid)

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hristo

« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2009, 07:53:23 PM »
Thanks Maggi. it looked so much like the lip of maculata I wasa thinking iit was a primary hybrid, very very attractive indeed,
as Luc points out a good reason to join the 'tracking' club!!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

LarsB

• The Fearless One
« Reply #304 on: September 16, 2009, 08:15:18 PM »
Maggi beat me to it. I should have written Pleione x lageriana  lagenaria

You should bookmark Paul's Pleione site

http://www.pleione.info/
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 09:08:02 PM by Maggi Young »

Eric Locke

« Reply #305 on: September 17, 2009, 08:45:26 PM »

Luc

As Chris mentioned ,Neem Oil is available on Ebay from the USA under the DYNA - GROW label.
Price including postage is very similar to that which we had to pay in the UK before it was withdrawn.  ;)
An 8oz one of these will last you years. :) :) :) and is well worth purchasing.
Neem oil is also available sold for cosmetic and also for head- lice treatment but not sure if this is of the same quality.

Eric

Eric Locke

« Reply #306 on: September 17, 2009, 08:49:04 PM »
Lars

Nice to see your x Lagenaria.
Wonder if this is the natural hybrid ? or perhaps the man made version (x Confirmation) done by the late Jan Berg and sold via Orchid Wubben ?

Eric
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:36:19 PM by Eric Locke »

LarsB

• The Fearless One
« Reply #307 on: September 18, 2009, 09:40:07 AM »
I can't say for sure, but I think the grower I got it from would have labelled it accordingly if it was x Confirmation. It is an interesting - but also fairly academic - discussion, if one should distinguish between manmade and natural hybrids of the same parentage. Personally, I think it is irrelevant. It would be much more relevant to distinguish between hybrids made from different clones/subsp. I hybridise Disa and there is a big different in the outcome from using a yellow form of Disa uniflora compared to a red form when you make a hybrid, but no distinction is made. I assume the same will apply to Pleione x Kohlsii if you were to find one where forrestii var.  alba was the parent,  or a pure yellow, they would be different. Still, it would only get a different name, if it was manmade, and it would  not show, which form had been used. 

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #308 on: September 18, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »
Beautiful x lagenaria Lars !!!  8)

Thanks for the info Eric - if I get hold of 8 oz of the mysterious neem oil - I will surely have a lot of it left to include in my will for my descendants..  8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Pete Clarke

« Reply #309 on: September 18, 2009, 08:29:18 PM »
on epiphytic orchid leaves, with the exception that Neem oil is replaced by olive oil

Chris - in order to preserve my dwindling stock of neem oil, I have just tried using olive oil instead, on a plant with red spider, but it did not work. It might be that olive oil is too thin to be effective or that there are other substances in the neem oil that kill them.
Pete.
Birmingham, Midlands, UK

Roma

« Reply #310 on: September 18, 2009, 10:41:53 PM »
Not sure if this is any help re neem oil.  There is a product available containing neem oil and other oils.  It used to be called Stop it All but is now called Ruggle-it.  It is supposed to be useful as a fly repellant and for skin complaints in animals and humans and also for use in the garden.I have not tried it.  The website is www.karenruggles.co.uk   
I seem to remember Cyril Lafong mentioning he used an insecticide containing rapeseed oil against red spider mite and found it effective but I don't remember the name.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Eric Locke

« Reply #311 on: September 18, 2009, 10:59:35 PM »
Lars

Continuing on the discussion on x Lagenaria and x Confirmation.
I have always found plants of the natural hybrid to be of a fairly pink colouration as your photo shows.
Plants supplied by Wubben ,which are from Jan Bergs cross and should be labelled x Confirmation, show a very variable colour range . I have clones that are almost white,ones that are pale pink and darken as they age and others that are very similar to your photo.
All clones do have  similar lip markings.
It is possible that because Wubben continue to label these as x Lagenaria and not Confirmation that plants have now been mixed up and causing confusion.

Eric

Eric Locke

« Reply #312 on: September 18, 2009, 11:07:51 PM »

Thanks for the info Eric - if I get hold of 8 oz of the mysterious neem oil - I will surely have a lot of it left to include in my will for my descendants..  8)

Luc

I am just coming to the end of my first 8oz Neem Oil which has lasted about eight years even with my large collection. :) I do mainly use it however only for dipping dormant bulbs.
Luckily I purchased a couple of spare lots before it was withdrawn. :) :) :)
Eric

LarsB

• The Fearless One
« Reply #313 on: September 20, 2009, 11:06:25 PM »

I'll try to trace the roots of my x lagenaria.

Kind regards

Lars

LarsB

• The Fearless One
« Reply #314 on: September 22, 2009, 08:40:42 AM »
I've jsut has a reply from the guy i got the plant from and it doesn't originate from Wubben.

Kind regards

Lars

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal