We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oncos 2009  (Read 85263 times)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: Oncos 2009
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 03:43:03 PM »
I would be very interested in a brief translation of these articles please?  The only name that stands out in the text is Dr Vlastimil Pilous ... a famous name, but I cannot tell if he is the accused or the accuser and that is a very unfair impression?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 03:48:31 PM by Maggi Young »
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 03:50:53 PM »
Pilous is the person named as being caught with the bulbs, Cliff Here are two different translations I have received....

"Geologist from Czech Republik has been cought in Hasandağı by gendarmeria in act digging plants to bring his country.
According the acquirement information, The Taşpınar Gendarmerie Center by appraising an informing  have  cought one person  with his spade while digging plants around Uzartı on hill side of Hasandağı. The person who has been brought to the Taşpınar Gendarmerie Center was Geologist Dr. Vlastimil Pilous from Czech Republik.
Provincial Department of Agriculture  with  Provincial Department of environment and forestry analysed 454 plants of Dr. Vlastimil Pilous.
After analysis the plants, Thay have seen these 454 plants in two specieses are endangered and forbidden to sortie out of country. They were Iris sp. from bulbous plants.
 Dr. Vlastimil Pilous, in his evidence, He will bring these plants to Czech Republik for using for medical. He will make dry the plants to make tea and use for insomniac problems.
He comes to Turkey since 2001  to research and collect plants.  This time Dr. Vlastimil Pilous enter to Turkey 03.04.08. To find these iris sp. which lives around volcanic mountains, he come to Hatay, Antalya and then Hasandağı which is in Aksaray.
They imposed a fine to Dr. Vlastimil Pilous. environment law number 2872 clause 9/F. This clause aims to care plants and animals which are very rare and endangered. It is forbidden to illegal traffik. In the contrary case fine 23 thousand 112 turkish lira. Because of plant pirade, They give to Dr. Vlastimil Pilous 23 thousand 112 turkish lira
( = 11 thousand 500 hundred euros prx.) If he pay this many in one month, he will pay only 17 thousand 334 turkis lira (=8 thousand 500 hundred euros prx.) In case of not paying this amount it will forbidden to enter Turkey anymore.  After this process, Geologist Dr. Vlastimil Pilous get on the bus and left from Aksaray."
http://anadoluekspres.com/haber_detay.asp?haberID=385

and:
"A Czech geologist  has been caught in Hasandağı by the Tukish gendarmerie in the act of digging up plants to bring back to  his country.
According to reports, The Taşpınar Gendarmerie have  caught one person  with his spade while digging plants around Uzartı on a hillside near Hasandağı.  The person in question is Geologist Dr. Vlastimil Pilous from  The Czech Republic.
 The provincial Department of Agriculture  and it’s sister  Department of  the environment and forestry analysed 454 plants in the posession of Dr.Pilous.
After analysis, They have examined 454 plants which turned out to be  two species  of  Iris , both of which are endangered and forbidden to be taken out of country. They were aparently bulbous species .
 Dr. Pilous, claimed that he was taking the plants back to the Czech Republic for medicinal purposes, and that he intended to dry the plants to make tea for treating his problems with insomnia .
He has visited Turkey since 2001  to ‘research’ and collect plants.  This time Dr Pilous entered Turkey on the 3rd of April 2008. To search for  these iris species, which inhabit volcanic mountains, he visited Hatay, Antalya and then Hasandağı which is in Aksaray.
They imposed a fine on Dr. Pilous. under environment law number 2872 clause 9/F. This clause aims to protect plants and animals which are very rare and endangered. It is  illegal to traffic any such material . In this controversial case, They imposed a fine of  23 thousand 112 turkish lira ( = 11 thousand 500 hundred euros prx.) on Pilous. because of plant smuggling. BUT,
 if he pays  within one month, he will only have to pay 17 thousand 334 turkis lira (=8 thousand 500 hundred euros prx.) If he fails to pay either amount, he will be forbidden to enter Turkey ever again.  After this process,  Dr. Pilous is said to have left Aksaray by bus."

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 04:02:41 PM »
Many thanks, Maggi ... I won't deny I am shocked ....
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 04:07:04 PM »
Many thanks, Maggi ... I won't deny I am shocked ....

Same here Cliff !!!  :(
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

biodiversite

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 08:08:15 PM »
Arf, I think we are numerous here to have bought to V. Pilous during years. Sure, he indicated the plants were from nature, but as others : how to know precisely if the first plants were from nature but seedlings and vegetative multiplication are made in nursery, or if all the plants were digging up...

Moreover, we have to know that all our plants are finally came from nature, "peu ou prou" as we say in french, somewhat as "few or a lot". And I think CITES laws protect seeds too, so all the system of collecting in natura is vicious...

As for tortoises, we have to recognize that fact, and do not seem to be surprised. The unique solution now is permitted by the internet and its forums I think : we have to exchange our ways of culture in order to avoid to loose plants, to multiply these plants scrupulously, avoiding for example hybridization, and to give them around.

Sorry for my english : I tried to translate what I think but I'm not able to deliver precisely details  ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:31:36 PM by biodiversite »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2009, 08:16:27 PM »
Bio, I think we can understand you well enough. :D

Yes, we must do all we can to propagate our plants and  share them with others so that many gardens may know the delight of these gems from nature.

It is a fact that if no-one had ever made a plant collection, then our gardens would only have those species to be found in our own countries and I think we would all be sorry if that were the case..... there is here however the question of international and local laws and we must do all we can to uphold these and that is of course, the stance of the SRGC.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009, 11:06:16 PM »
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 11:27:09 AM »
Arf,

??

You coul translate by : Arghhhhh !! or Oups !! or or or whatever you want  ;D
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

art600

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 12:02:04 PM »
Arf,

??

You coul translate by : Arghhhhh !! or Oups !! or or or whatever you want  ;D

Fred

I thought you meant Art i.e. me, and I could not think why.  Now I understand  ;D

Arthur Nicholls

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 12:50:32 PM »
Thanks for the translation Maggi.
One plant for propagation is one thing but 454 is too much to claim anything else than massive wild collection of plants to sell.
It is good to make things clear so that people understand that these plants came direct from nature to their garden and not through seed collection or vegitative propagation. Trying to keep the plants pure might be difficult through seeds in a garden but one might try and also to grow them well enough to have divisions. 
All the best
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2009, 01:50:01 PM »
Some photos from today's trip:
This population of Iris atropurpurea is located in a remote place and quite unaccessible. This population is very diverse in colors and forms.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:52:33 PM by Miriam »
Rehovot, Israel

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2009, 03:14:10 PM »
stunning pictures of awesome plants Miriam !!
Thanks a lot for showing them.... and there goes my sympathy for tractor drivers  >:(
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2009, 05:20:50 PM »
EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL!!

art600

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2009, 05:23:20 PM »
Miriam

Stunning oncos

Is the land suitable for growing crops.  I wonder what the tractor was doing in such a remote area.
Arthur Nicholls

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2009, 07:13:36 PM »
Near by these Irises, there is a sewage purification station and some pipes were placed there...
Rehovot, Israel

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal