We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sternbergia 2009  (Read 39741 times)

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
Re: Sternbergia 2009
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2009, 09:12:15 PM »
Among all of you successful sternbergia growers, I'm curious as to the coldest zone in which the hardiest species is known to survive. 
Herbert, it seems you might have the coldest climate of those who have responded here so far - what zone are you in?

Sternbergia lutea is often offered here in fall at garden centers (but then, so are a few other things that have next to no chance of survival).  I've tried it a few times over the years, but have yet to have one survive, hence my questions.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2009, 09:31:43 PM »
I hold the S.lutea under a fir, the slid winter I have had stung less ten c., for the others sp. I do not trust myself
Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2009, 09:36:02 PM »
Hi, Alessandro.  Thank you for the response.  So, that would be -10 degrees Celsius?
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2009, 09:47:20 PM »
My Sternbergia under glass continue flowering.

Those are very well grown. Please describe the soil mix you use, preferably in excruciating detail so those of us who live in far away places have some chance of mixing something that works equally well.

I have for long had a nagging idea that the mix I use for pretty much everything just isn't right for Mediterranean bulbs, so I'm especially curious about pH, how gritty the mix is, what kind of grit and soil you use, nutrient levels, any additives.

PS: I am interested to see you using square pots; few gardeners do in these larger sizes. I switched to square "one gallon" pots (really 2.5 liters) roughly 20 years ago, and any round pots that come in with nursery stock are quickly recycled. I managed to get a really good deal on some hundreds of used square pots and guard them very carefully! My coldframes hold each a nice tight array of square pots 6×9, 54 pots per frame.

I use basically the compost Ian Young recommend: 2 part loam, 2 part grit and one part leaf compost. As I live close to the see I have a good free supply of sea grit. It is not sharp, but has some broken shells. Grit size is 2-6 mm. (I test the drainage, and if the water not soaks fast enough I add some more grit.) To this I add some bone meal and for Sternbergia some lime. PH is about 7.5

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2009, 09:48:58 PM »
Hi, Alessandro.  Thank you for the response.  So, that would be -10 degrees Celsius?
Exact, in my zone the winter climate is much humid
Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2009, 09:54:21 PM »
Among all of you successful sternbergia growers, I'm curious as to the coldest zone in which the hardiest species is known to survive.  
Herbert, it seems you might have the coldest climate of those who have responded here so far - what zone are you in?

Sternbergia lutea is often offered here in fall at garden centers (but then, so are a few other things that have next to no chance of survival).  I've tried it a few times over the years, but have yet to have one survive, hence my questions.

St. lutea can survive in cold areas. I grow mine in open garden, many of them unprotected. They have survived -22 degrees without snow cover.
But the problem is flowering. If too cold there will only be leaves. To flower well, they require a hot, dry summer bake. Try them at a south facing wall.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2009, 10:20:32 PM »
Ian has been trying them higher than before in the pot, so they heat up better.....not in flower yet, but some more buds showing than usual, we think.  :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2009, 11:52:25 PM »
Lori = S. lutea never flowers here except when first purchased.  It survives a few years and peters out here in Zone 6. It is not hot enough for them in the summer and the winters are either too wet or cold.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gerry Webster

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2009, 12:18:55 AM »
I don't think the soil mix is particularly important for Sternbergias - any old bulb mix will do. What is important in my experience is good feeding & very hot conditions during dormancy (& I mean VERY HOT).  Given less than ideal conditions, some forms flower more readily than others. I find the John Marr form of S.sicula, which I pictured, to be pretty reliable & I would imagine 'Dodona Gold' to be similar since it comes from a collection made in the same area. On the other hand, S. sicula 'Arcadian Sun' - from a collection made in the Peloponnese - seems to require more heat than it in got my garden this year despite being planted out under glass in a south-facing site.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Pauli

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2009, 05:38:06 AM »
Lori,

I suggest I garden around hardiness zones 5 to 6. But usually we have quite hot summers with many days around 30C - so a good summer baking is no problem for the sternbergias here.
Sicula from Corfu is in full flower, but little else noow; I think they are waiting for more rain!

all the best from Linz

Herbert
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2009, 02:19:21 PM »
First of mine in flower a Sternbergia grueteriana from Melvyn. No sighn of any others yet but I only watered five days ago.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2009, 08:31:20 PM »
First of mine in flower a Sternbergia grueteriana from Melvyn. No sighn of any others yet but I only watered five days ago.

Nice plant, Tony!

Here is my Sternbergia greuteriana - although according the petal width
close to Sternbergia lutea/sicula.
The second one is Sternbergia sicula Dodona Gold.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2009, 07:57:52 PM »
One reason to regret the demise of Woolworths is that they were a good source of bulbs. They were unwittingly selling Cyclamen mirabile ( among other species) as C. hederifolium and packs of Sternbergia which were descibed as 'from Turkey'. I bought some packs of this Sternbergia lutea which have flowered well in the garden ever since.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2009, 08:50:52 PM »
One reason to regret the demise of Woolworths is that they were a good source of bulbs.

You have a good memory Melvyn since it is many years since Woolworths were a good source of bulbs.  In my garden all the Galanthus nivalis & various forms of Chionodoxa & Crocus  came from them though I never managed to establish their dried cyclamen. Innocents that we were, it was great fun visiting the stores in Autumn to see what was new - all wild collected I fear.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2009, 10:33:16 PM »
One reason to regret the demise of Woolworths is that they were a good source of bulbs.

You have a good memory Melvyn since it is many years since Woolworths were a good source of bulbs.  In my garden all the Galanthus nivalis & various forms of Chionodoxa & Crocus  came from them though I never managed to establish their dried cyclamen. Innocents that we were, it was great fun visiting the stores in Autumn to see what was new - all wild collected I fear.

I bought from Woolworths too for many years and always found their bulbs excellent but you had me rattled about stock from the wild so I looked through my tin of labels and was pleased to see they were from cultivated stock grown in Holland  :)  An enterprising manageress in the UK bought the Woolies she worked in and is adding other stores and employing the original staff - renamed it is a great success - maybe they will reintroduce a bulb section  ::)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal