We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sternbergia 2009  (Read 39516 times)

Pauli

Re: Sternbergia 2009
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2009, 05:28:10 PM »
Poul,

I have no problem with flowering them. I feed them heavily and give a dry summer rest
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2009, 10:29:13 AM »
And while your Sternbergia candida are flowering over there..... here in Australia the S. lutea are flowering for us.  Some lovely splashes of gold are appearing in my garden now, with lots more to come I hope.  Lovely to see the S. candida, something I have tried once and lost to rot unfortunately.  Beautiful looking flowers on them by the look of it.  Great to see them doing so well and flowering so heavily.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 09:54:36 AM »
Flowering now as I mentioned......  Sternbergia lutea.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2009, 03:56:30 AM »
Flowering now as I mentioned......  Sternbergia lutea.

As well as S. sicula,
117108-0
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2009, 02:56:13 PM »
My first Sternbergia in flower this year. 3 days earlier than last year.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2009, 03:53:37 PM »
A week later it is much prettier.

And Sternbergia lutea follows soon.

Poul

Gerry Webster

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2009, 08:37:09 PM »
Sternbergia sicula
From a collection  made by John Marr (JRM 3186/75) at Dodona. I find this to be the most reliable form of S. sicula  that I grow.After a very poor summer, other forms from further S in the range of the species show no sign of flowering.
(unfortunately, my camera is not too good with yellow).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:39:42 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 10:19:46 AM »
Sternbergia sicula
From a collection  made by John Marr (JRM 3186/75) at Dodona. I find this to be the most reliable form of S. sicula  that I grow.After a very poor summer, other forms from further S in the range of the species show no sign of flowering.
(unfortunately, my camera is not too good with yellow).

Great sicula, Gerry. If all these flowerbuds are formed in a bad summer, there must be a tremendous number after a good summer!

My Sternbergia under glass continue flowering.

1. Part of my bulbframe. The Scillas are shooting leaves, and the Sternbergias have flowers.
2. and 3. St. sicula from Korfu top of Pantokrator
4. and 5. St. greuteriana
6. St. lutea

Outside I have seen the first flowerbuds of sicula Dodona Gold and lutea.

Poul

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
Lovely Sternbergias Gerry and Poul. I have never had any success with them, but thanks to Anthony I have a pot of S.sicula in the greenhouse that are showing some very healthy leaves. I have high hopes.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
You are not the only one David.  We have two pots of lovely foliage S. luteum and  S. siculum, they come up every year.  We know they do flower because they were in flower when they were given to us but since then nothing. I'm all for chucking them out but Brian says 'Oh ye of little faith'. :-X
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 07:11:01 PM »
Must be due a touch of the magic white powder Shelagh, and in case the FBI is watching I mean Sulphate of Potash ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 08:53:47 PM »
Shelagh and David,

I have success with Sternbergia lutea and sicula in my garden, but they require a warm sunny place and a fertile soil to flower well.
Feeding with bone meal and sulphate of potash give good results.
The photo is from last year. The wall is south facing. Here they performs very well.

I grow them in pots too (under glass). The roots goes deep, so in general I use rather large pots. They like to be crowded, but then heavy feeding is necessary. Sometimes when I only have few bulbs I place them among 'dummy bulbs' of limestone.
Last year I have tried 11 cm pots for sicula, greuteriana and colchiciflora. (The pots you see in post #22) Until now it seems OK.

Poul

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 08:55:46 PM »
Here is a strange Sternbergia. ;)

Poul
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:58:47 AM by Maggi Young »

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2009, 08:57:12 PM »
My Sternbergia under glass continue flowering.

Those are very well grown. Please describe the soil mix you use, preferably in excruciating detail so those of us who live in far away places have some chance of mixing something that works equally well.

I have for long had a nagging idea that the mix I use for pretty much everything just isn't right for Mediterranean bulbs, so I'm especially curious about pH, how gritty the mix is, what kind of grit and soil you use, nutrient levels, any additives.

PS: I am interested to see you using square pots; few gardeners do in these larger sizes. I switched to square "one gallon" pots (really 2.5 liters) roughly 20 years ago, and any round pots that come in with nursery stock are quickly recycled. I managed to get a really good deal on some hundreds of used square pots and guard them very carefully! My coldframes hold each a nice tight array of square pots 6×9, 54 pots per frame.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2009, 08:59:19 PM »
David
Friends gave me some bulbs of Sternbergia lutea a few years ago and advised me to plant in the hottest part of my garden.  In full sun they perform well every year and have to be split up every 2 - 3 years.  I give a top dressing of bone meal, if I remember.

Mike

Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal