We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating Sorbus  (Read 4211 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Germinating Sorbus
« on: January 10, 2009, 05:34:59 PM »
I'm delighted to have received seeds of Sorbus poteriifolia from the exchange. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they germinate better if treated with an acid to simulate travelling through the gut of a bird. Any advice would be appreciated.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Giles

• Prince of Primula
Re: Germinating Sorbus
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 06:48:17 PM »
Dear Anne,
This advice is from the book 'The Genus Sorbus' by Hugh McAllister:
1. Seed of S.poteriifolia should not be allowed to dry, as in this species dry seed rapidly loses viability.
2. Seed will germinate at 1C. During the cold treatment the temperature should not be allowed to rise significantly for any length of time, and seed should be maintained at 1C until germination is complete.

He also mentions seed should be cleaned asap after harvesting of fruits, and the use of a fridge for germination, to ensure an even temperature.
He talks of putting the seed damp in petri dishes so you can keep an eye on progress.
It's a lovely book if you like Sorbus, but if you would like a photocopy of the germination pages, please let me know.
Giles

Gerry Webster

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 08:25:38 PM »
Seed will germinate at 1C. During the cold treatment the temperature should not be allowed to rise significantly for any length of time, and seed should be maintained at 1C until germination is complete.
He also mentions seed should be cleaned asap after harvesting of fruits, and the use of a fridge for germination, to ensure an even temperature.
He talks of putting the seed damp in petri dishes so you can keep an eye on progress.
In an earlier booklet The Rowan & Its Relatives (Ness Gardens),  Hugh McAllister describes how to  germinate seeds in the fridge. Here is the description. I used it some years ago with S. hupehensis & S. vilmorinii & the results were very good.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 10:54:42 PM »
Oh dear, the seeds being dry seems to have determined their fate already! Anyway, I've nothing to lose by the fridge treatment. I'll try half of them outside too. Thanks folks.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 10:58:43 PM »
I'd be inclined to soak the seeds a bit first, anyway. Always do think that when the seed is biggish and very dry and since the damp petri dish is mentioned, don't think it could hurt, could it?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal