We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scorpiris Iris (Juno's) 2007  (Read 23461 times)

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: Scorpiris Iris (Juno's) 2007
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2007, 09:05:23 PM »
Possibly, Tony, but not quite the same as the others. I was hoping for a truely rare find!
Actually there is a story behing these bulbs. Last autumn we had a Continental Market in Inverness and bought a couple of bags of Iris danfordiae at a very cheap price to grow in pots for winter colour. Upon opening the bags the bulbs did not look right and the pots were shoved under the bench - when they did not emerge early enough they were put outside until I recognised them as junos and brought them back into the greenhouse.
I suppose for Dutch mass produced bulbs I shouldn't expect a rarety from Iran but no harm in hoping. It was a bargain buy, whatever.

David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2007, 09:56:43 PM »
I recently saw Iris for sale, potted, at the local greengrocers.  About 10 shoots crammed into a 4" pot.  Close inspection revealed Iris bucharica!!  They get about once the Dutch have propogated them.  Oh ..and the price for 10 Iris bucharica .... £2.25!!!  I was on my pushbike and declined to buy ... meant to go back but ....

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2007, 11:23:36 PM »
I think it's bucharica too David - lots more buds to come.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2007, 03:55:15 PM »
We have the white I. magnifica on the previous page, this is the normal form, which did darker after a few days out.
12399-0
But what's the opinion on the leaves,
12401-1
is it my growing conditions or v!*+s.
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

Kenneth K

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2007, 05:21:46 PM »
As new here I´m not quite sure how to attach a picture. Just to make a try I will show my first Juno. It is I willmottiana and the picture is not as good as erlier shown. But anyway... Just to practice and show that it is possible to cultivate outside in rainy West Sweden.
Kenneth Karlsson, Göteborg, Sweden

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
Hello, Kenneth and a very warm welcome to the Forum! A lovely Iris and growing well.......

unlike yours, Andrew... burn it, quickly... that is a virus. Sorry!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2007, 08:58:55 PM »
If Andrew, or anyone else, has a pot with several plants/ bulbs in it and only one shows the effects of virus - should the whole potfull be destroyed or just the one showing the infection.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2007, 09:03:34 PM »
I would incline to say, just the  virused one, and hope for the best with the others, while keeping them "quarantined" for safety.... but Ian would say bin the lot... as he did with our collection some years ago.....and many of them full of fat buds and looking so good.... he made me destroy the lot! I was heartbroken about them and was weeping as I chucked them, but I know I'd have felt worse if the infection had been spread to other plants as well.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2007, 04:04:45 PM »
A couple of Juno Iris to show that they like growing in sometimes sunny Scotland. This is their 2nd year unprotected out in the open garden and are flowering well again. I lifted and split them last year but couldn't bare to see them out of the ground so against most advise I planted them straight back in and didn't give them a summer rest. This year I will leave them without touching them.
Iris Argument
Iris Blue mystery
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2007, 09:10:57 PM »
A couple of Juno Iris to show that they like growing in sometimes sunny Scotland. This is their 2nd year unprotected out in the open garden and are flowering well again. I lifted and split them last year but couldn't bare to see them out of the ground so against most advise I planted them straight back in and didn't give them a summer rest. This year I will leave them without touching them.
Iris Argument
Iris Blue mystery

Susan, they haven't read the book have they? ;D  If you can do that in Scotland I must be able to get away with it here??
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2007, 08:03:16 AM »
David,
The Iris I got from Leonid Bonderenko in Lithuania. They were really strong plants and are some of his own hybrids that he is breeding for growing outdoors. The crosses are I. bucharica x I. warleyensis for Argument and New Argument, for Blue mystery it is I. willmottiana x I. magnifica.
I would certainly give them a go down in Devon. Prehaps they prefer growing outside, they grow like leeks and I would think they would take more feeding/water/space than you could give them in pots.
Good luck.

Susan's website:

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2007, 09:58:57 AM »
Nice plants Susan, what height are they please ??
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 07:23:12 PM by Maggi Young »
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2007, 12:20:57 PM »
They are 30cm at the moment and have just started to flower, no doubt they will get bigger as they age.

Susan's website:

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2007, 08:12:08 PM »
Hello,

I'm not sure if this juno is an Iris pseudocapnoides sp. nova. Ruksans, I have lost the lable
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 07:59:02 PM by Rafa »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2007, 07:52:31 PM »
HELP!  I now own my first Juno. Bought today from a Garden Centre Sale Table.  Iris bucharica (so the label says! 3 litre pot, cost= £1.

The question is what do I do now?? I think I need to keep it dry? Do I re-pot it? There are bags of shoots, do I split it? Any help will be gratefully appreciated. 

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal