We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scorpiris Iris (Juno's) 2007  (Read 23422 times)

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
Scorpiris Iris (Juno's) 2007
« on: February 27, 2007, 09:26:12 AM »
As the Iris page is mostly Iris reticulata's, I'll start a new topic for the Juno's.

First flowering for me is I. aucheri 'Snow Princess'.
7495-0

7497-1

Good thinking, Andrew, these deserve their own page! M
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 11:11:19 AM by Maggi Young »
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Scorpiris Iris (Juno's) 2007
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 09:59:50 AM »
Nice Andrew, are they difficult?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 01:25:51 PM »
Nice Andrew, are they difficult?

David, it depends on the species, some are easy - I. bucharica, I. cycloglossa - and can be grown outside, others are more difficult to impossible ?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 02:17:19 PM »
I shall watch, wait and read, and maybe try a couple of easy ones next year.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 03:09:19 PM »
David, I. bucharica is probably one of the easier ones. I struggle with it out of doors in Moray but it does seem to survive and I get better results in a pot in the greenhouse (good enough to feel able to put it on the show bench but not good enough for the judges recognition - yet). It is also readily available.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 03:12:06 PM by David Shaw »
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
David, I. bucharica is probably one of the easier ones. I struggle with it out of doors in Moray but it does seem to survive and I get better results in a pot in the greenhouse (good enough to feel able to put it on the show bench but not good enough for the judges recognition - yet). It is also readily available.

David, I was doing a bit of research this afternoon and I. bucharica is currently top of my "to try list" 
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 07:49:06 PM »
Thrilled to have a new page just for junos. I'll have to post some pics later in the year. I'm starting to repot mine now and am surprised to find some well into root already, a problem as I've to send a couple to Oz in April.

I'm surprised to see I. aucheri so tall Andrew. Is this typical for the species? Beginning to wonder if all the tall whites I've raised from AGS seed as graeberiana and assumed to be magnifica alba, may be aucheri instead, though probably not, as they are mid season rather than early. My blue and purple aucheris flower from mid winter to early spring.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 08:28:23 PM »
David, I tried some Junos for the first time 2 years ago. They did really well last year and are showing up at the moment and are (were before the snow anyway) looking good again. They are outside in a really gritty bed with humus. Here is a photo of Iris New Argument and Iris Blue mystery(both last year) from Leonid Bonderenko, he is trying to bred tough hybrids.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 08:30:31 PM by Susan Band »
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 09:50:55 PM »
Susan,I think I would have to grow in pots but if they prosper up there they ought to grow down here?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 04:06:13 PM »
I'm surprised to see I. aucheri so tall Andrew. Is this typical for the species? Beginning to wonder if all the tall whites I've raised from AGS seed as graeberiana and assumed to be magnifica alba, may be aucheri instead, though probably not, as they are mid season rather than early. My blue and purple aucheris flower from mid winter to early spring.

Lesley, it's new this season so I cannot comment on that. I've just come home and noticed the normal I. aucheri has opened its flower, it's about six inches tall - bit dull for a flower now, maybe tommorrow - and I had that last season (no flower).

This might be totally unrelated but I have some corydalis and tulips, the same species were kept refridgerated and in an unheated room. The fridged corydalis is in full flower, the roomed one is not showing above grow and the fridged tulips are about doubled the height of the roomed ones !

Then again, I think it is  I. warleyensis is looking elongated and I had that last season as well !!

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 05:01:42 PM »
my first Junos this year:
Juno nicolai
Juno stenophylla
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 07:34:59 PM »
You seem to be preparing more surprises for us Dirk !
This J. nicolai has such an unusual colour combination : beautiful
Thanks
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 11:30:23 PM »
Andrew, with many bulbs from climates with cold, harsh winters - as in central Asia where many junos come from - cold is the trigger to start growth so bulbs kept cold will be earlier than those in warmer conditions. Also happier probably.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 04:15:22 PM »
As promised I. aucheri.
7745-0
This is 15 cm/6 inches tall. I had a look in Mathew's Iris and he says about 15 - 40 cm in height and 'it is possible to grow it in the open ground in southern Britain'. I had the tape measure out on I. aucheri 'Snow Princess' and that is 35 cm/14 inches, so within range.
7747-1

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 06:17:20 PM »
Andrew, do you mean in South East Britain where (sometimes!) it's drier, or South West where it aint?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal