We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daphnes 2008-2009  (Read 36202 times)

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
Re: Daphnes 2008-2009
« Reply #255 on: November 19, 2009, 09:42:03 AM »
Daphne D. x transatlantic 'Eternal Fragrance is protected by plant breeders rights which probably accounts for why you have not seen it on the forum before. We are not allowed to propagate it without a licence, so it is not as widely available as Jim's Pride which has the same parents, and although almost as good a plant, it does not have the flower power of D. x transatlantic 'Eternal Fragrance in the first flush of bloom in the spring. It is also much more expensive because of the breeders rights so most people settle for Jim's Pride.

A good spray with Liquid Copper should cure the rust or whatever is affecting your plant and it should be quite happy in your soil conditions.
Daphne's are sometimes difficult so get settled in and can be temperamental.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:48:23 AM by Michael J Campbell »

iann

« Reply #256 on: November 19, 2009, 12:08:16 PM »
I was a little surprised to find this one in a regular garden centre and it wasn't cheap, but then Daphnes are never cheap.  I've tried the copper fungicide regularly through a whole summer.  It might have helped but it didn't prevent the rusty spots which makes me think it wasn't simple rust.  I've also tried Myclobutanil but that didn't do a whole lot either.

I took some pictures.  I suspect the fungal spots are just dead now and might not tell very much, but here's an infected branch tip and a fallen leaf.
near Manchester,  NW England, UK

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #257 on: November 19, 2009, 05:56:20 PM »
RW mentions a specific leaf spot fungus of Daphnes in his book.
I guess good air circulation to keep the leaves as dry as possible would help, if the sprays aren't helping.
Mine are under glass, and their leaves never get wet, and have never experienced this problem myself.
There is a stunning pink 'sport' of 'Eternal Fragrance' in the pipeline  8), I don't know when it will be generally available though.
I saw it in the Summer - it is fantastic.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal