We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendrons in the Southern Spring  (Read 5529 times)

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
Re: Rhododendrons in the Southern Spring
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 06:47:27 PM »
Maggi, this particular plant is growing in full sun now, facing south (which is your north of course), previously it was in too much shade.  The foliage is one of the reasons I love it.   I'm a bit of a sucker for good foliage on a plant.  Good forms of yak, williamsianum (in flower at present, including a white form) makinoi and anything with a different indumentum.  I have just bought a tiny plant of R bhutanense with the most wonderful deep plum colour under the leaf.  Might have to keep the plant upside down!

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 08:17:34 PM »
Yours is certainly a winner Susan, but it took Maggi's and mine to make you produce yours.  :) Where are the pachysanthum and others though? Please?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 08:20:47 PM »
I bought a small one of Alistair's from Louise, the other day, as R. bureavii and the rust indumentum is there all right but wiped off, the underside is the colour of deep red plums.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 08:38:32 PM »
The upper indumentum usually gets washed off with rain quite quickly here as the leaves get older on all the rhodo types that are completely "furry" when they are  newly emerged, but the lower indumentum stays really well of course.
 Anthony Darby has a neighbour who washes the fuzz off the new leaves of her rhodos, if I recall..... gawd help us from daft neighbours like her, that's all I can say. ::) :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 11:34:11 PM »
Have taken a few photos but will have to wait until after the Trillium week-end as we are just leaving now.  Have been so busy trying to keep on top of the garden, hardly have time to read anything.  Supposed to be snow to low levels - doesn't look like it at present. Here's hoping.

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
Thank you for supplying a "Rhododendron fix" for all of us in the Northern hemisphere.  We will have to wait another 4 months before our season starts again -  weather permitting.
I find myself staring at the buds on my Cinnabarinums willing them to be flowerbuds instead of new growth !  Keep posting pictures to give us something to cheer us up as the Winter takes hold here.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 09:27:04 PM »
Our filthy forecasters are AGAIN saying snow for Otago this evening, to 200m which definitely includes Susan and me. ??? So it's back to winter again for us too Tom.

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 11:03:05 PM »
Tom, not sure this is going to be uplifting.  The first is a photo from this morning.

A couple of days ago it was like this.  A view of Loderi King George and L Crest. Then Loderi King George close up.

A group of R loderi Julie, and a Rhododendron bought as R griffithianum but is not, although an acceptable flower. Then R Loderi Julie, a lovely creamy colour.

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 11:20:59 PM »
A couple more. A New Zealand hybrid, Kiwi Magic.  The back of the flower of R Kiwi Magic.
R Mt Everest which has been stunning this year.  I have also planted seven up in our paddock so am waiting for them to "join hands" and provide a sort of avalanche of Mt Everest! I shall be able to see them from the house, I hope, although after a second snowfall we won't notice them.
Rhododendron arboreum grows at our front gate, next to Mt Everest, and some nice reds.

Rhododendron pseudochrysanthum  and a closeup of the flower.

Rhododendron pachysanthum taken a couple of weeks ago.

Susan

Dunedin, New Zealand

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 12:58:27 AM »
Oh, Susan, what beauties..... what a pain to have the snow come now. The Loderi types are super... they are so glamorous, I think!   Your pristine white arboreum is a STUNNER! I am green witth envy  :o
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 02:58:45 AM »
Susan -  What stunners!

Loderi Julie and pachysanthum have me drooling.

johnw - +13c at 11pm.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 04:13:03 AM »
Isn't it horrid Susan, when just for once the weather forecasters get it right? It happens so rarely. :)

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 04:39:37 AM »
Thank you.  The Loderi group are quite glam aren't they.  Always make sure I have the make-up on before visiting them. 

Have not seen too many "Julie"s around.  It is a superb plant.

I have a plant which I am posting which looks and smells like a Loderi but it is not known here as one.  I believe it came from a very early nursery in Dunedin and the name is long since gone. Ignore the brilliant laburnum next door, it is there to keep the wood pigeons happy.

Maggi, I have the white arboreum which I was told comes from quite high up in the Himalayas, and a pink one, but the pink is well, a bit pink if you get my meaning.

Susan.
Dunedin, New Zealand

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal