Cultivation > Cultivation Problems

Grafting daphnes

<< < (6/6)

ichristie:
Next,  a few cuttings in a home made propogator

ichristie:
Next Daphnes in a sink recently planted I realise some people do not like the white quarts but for me I try something different, one odd Daphne Hans Bauer. Ian

Michael J Campbell:
Nothing much I can add to that Lily-anne, Ian  has demonstrated it perfectly. I usually start in at the end of January to get a good head of growth before the winter and obviously I have to apply a little bottom heat at that time. It is preferable to have the rootstock started into growth at grafting time so you can bring them into the greenhouse a couple of weeks before. The scion should be dormant but
I don't think it matters that much provided it is not too soft. The decision of what to graft is made for you as it is usually the ones that are difficult to root from cuttings. Late Winter early Spring and Autumn for grafting and late Spring and summer for cuttings. My first cuttings were taken on the 25th of May this year but it depends on the season and which plants you are taking the cuttings from, some are ready before others.  That is really all  can add as Ian has covered everything else. Good luck with you grafting,it is easy.

lily-anne:
Ian and Michael, thank you!
 Soon I will repot my seedlings of Daphne tangutica  so  they can be grafted in the spring.
I am eager to start.

ichristie:
Thanks for the extra info Michael have never tried grafting so early weather here usually foul and yes we have a heated propagator anything I try gets either dried out or zapped by overnight frost maybe try again, cheers Ian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version