We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Beschorneria  (Read 3982 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Beschorneria
« on: December 17, 2008, 05:30:04 PM »
I have a few seeds left of a dwarfish Beschorneria sp. unknown cw in Mexico, enough for 3 or 4 packages.  Flowers are green and red. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

johnw -  -3c & snowing, rain and +5c tonight, lobster at $4/lb so no weather complaints today!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 05:31:56 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Beschorneria
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:43:41 PM »
Lobster at $4 a lb? That should go in the "I'm deliriously thrilled and happy and utter astounded and wildly jealous" thread.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

maggiepie

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 08:33:25 PM »
-9C and snowing here.
We had lobster 2 nights ago but it was 6.99$ a pound which is the cheapest I have seen it.
How much is it in the supermarkets in NS John?
Helen Poirier , Australia

johnw

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 09:02:13 PM »
-9C and snowing here.
We had lobster 2 nights ago but it was 6.99$ a pound which is the cheapest I have seen it.
How much is it in the supermarkets in NS John?

Helen - I bought 5 pounds yesterday on the wharf in Meteghan where it was $4/lb (GBP2/lb).  I phoned ahead and the fishmonger said $4/lb, buy one get one free.  They are always pulling such pranks.  I think they were $6/lb in the supermarket last weeekend. I heard on the news that the price is going much lower.

I remember my father telling me when he was in grade school the classmates eating lobster sandwiches for lunch would go to the farside of the schoolyard so no one would see them eating them. It was considered the food of the very poor. Now there are daily flights of 747 cargo planes leaving Hfx for Paris full of them.

johnw -  -1c and about to turn to rain

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 09:06:53 PM »
Cod must be around that sort of price now in the UK.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

maggiepie

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 09:36:49 PM »
John, I read about the lobster fishermen in NS keeping their boats in because the price was so low.
Here in NB, lobster in the supermarkets was still around 10.99$ pound last time I looked.
No specials advertised in the last two weeks, perhaps they are saving them for the last  few days before christmas.
My husband told me a similar story that only poor people ate lobster, I didn't believe him at the time.

::)
Helen Poirier , Australia

johnw

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 10:40:10 PM »
Cod must be around that sort of price now in the UK.

David

And fished to virtual extinction in the North Atlantic.

In fact at the local Atlantic Superstore lobster was $7.99 on the weekend. The price predictably goes up for Christmas eve, Tourtière à Jehanne Benoit here as usual - now that sticks by you.

johnw  - +3 and raining.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 10:54:26 PM by johnw »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 09:47:54 AM »
John, I don't think lobster and chips has the same ring as cod and chips  ;D  (by the way Brit version of chips and not the USA version!)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 10:13:23 AM »
Not sure of the exact weight/price per pound, but three pieces of haddock is around  £7 from good fishmonger. So long since I had lobster it's just a distant memory  :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 09:01:14 AM »
Our Lidl store is currently selling whole frozen lobster from Canada for £4-99 each. I don't know the weight but we split one in half and it provided enough meat (just) for the two of us.
I assume that the lobster must be farmed (can you farm lobster?) as a whole section of freezer was full of them and they were of even size. I think every Lidl in the country has the same offer. They have a whole range of similar frozen sea food for the Christmas season.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 11:26:57 AM »
I would make a reply to this last post of David's.... but I'm off to Lidl!  8)

johnw

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 02:09:06 PM »
Our Lidl store is currently selling whole frozen lobster from Canada for £4-99 each. I don't know the weight but we split one in half and it provided enough meat (just) for the two of us.
I assume that the lobster must be farmed (can you farm lobster?) as a whole section of freezer was full of them and they were of even size. I think every Lidl in the country has the same offer. They have a whole range of similar frozen sea food for the Christmas season.

David S. - That's a good buy. The last time I had one of these cans it was about £10 but I was surprised how good it was.

The size of fresh lobster is fairly uniform due to size limits set by the Dept of Fisheries. The lobster fishing season alternates throughout Nova Scotia, so while open year round it is only open now in southwestern NS.

David N.  - Same chips as here and always a shock when we forget and order chips in the USA.  Just to confuse matters we also call crisps chips. However the latter would never be ordered in a restaurant or served on a plate - here in a 10 litre bowl!

johnw

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 03:07:56 PM »
The last time I had one of these cans it was about £10

Cans??? You can get lobster in cans?  You mean like tuna, or salmon?

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 04:12:11 PM »
Well Maggie, I suppose a lobster CAN come packaged in anything.
These lobsters are frozen in brine in a tubular plastic bag. You don't have to eat the bag if you don't want to.
Thanks for your information, John.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

johnw

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 04:50:36 PM »
Yes Maggi - you can buy lobster in cans but the lobster in small tuna-sized cans is pretty bad.

The one I was referring to is a large flat can, vacuum sealed but with a small window in the snap-off lid, flash frozen, and the meat is in a plastic bag - called a freezer pack here. I think the same one David is referring to.

johnw

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal