We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Vines and climbers  (Read 6758 times)

Michael

Vines and climbers
« on: December 14, 2008, 10:08:35 AM »
Hi y'all  8)

This week i took more pictures of some favourite climbers of mine  :) Unfortunately i am not alowed to grow a lot of climbers, because they take a lot of space, and my dad grows Vitis plants, so he dislikes anything that climbs and can kill the Vitis (the exceptions are cucurbita, sechium, kiwi and passiflora, because of their edible fruits :) ). To my dad's eyes, if you cant eat it, its a worthless plant. But of course, us gardners know that that's not true, and i am having a big struggle to change his mind for the last couple of years (and i think i am starting to win the war, but its still too early to comemorate hehe ;)

Ok, enough of talk and lets get to the pictures:

This one is Passiflora "galaxy" (yeah i know its a passiflora, but since its a sterile hybrid, it doesnt set fruit...)

Aristolochia grandiflora (and besides the fact that we cannot eat it, the plant even produce a sweet rotting flesh aromatic fragrance to make things go even better  ;D ;D ;D

At the extreme left you can see my fingers, to have an idea of the scale

This one is Thunbergia mysorensis, a very neat plant, but it has a drawback: since it flowers ininterruptly all year around, you get tired of it (believe it or not!)

And last but not least, the jade vine. I took a lot of pictures and chose the best ones, but even so it is difficult to get a nice picture of this colour  :-[

I hope you enjoyed the pictures (i am geting a new cam on january, so i promise i will improve in their quality ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:15:33 AM by Michael »
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Vines and climbers
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:51:52 AM »
Mike,

Great pics of some wonderful plants.  Some of the Passifloras grow here, plus there are some native species.  The Aristolochea is a gem.... I've only recently found out that a lot of them will take my level of frost here, so that it a whole new world to explore!  ;D ;)  That Thunbergia is gorgeous.  I don't know it at all, but it looks fantastic.  And lastly the Jade Vine..... I saw it up in the far north of Queensland about 10 years ago or so and the colour is just unbelievable!!  I do so wish it would grow here, because I would grow it in a heartbeat.  I remember seeing it growing over a pergola that had been built over a garden path at a nursery we visited while we were up north..... with the huge vine covering the whole thing and these long racemes of amazingly coloured flowers.  Seeing your pics is a nice reminder of just how beautiful they were.

So.... thanks so much for the pics.  Great stuff!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 03:30:32 PM »
Michael,

Very nice collection of these beautiful climbers!
The Aristolochia grandiflora is a real stunner!!
I have bought some seeds of it from U.S.A, but meanwhile they have not yet germinated.
Rehovot, Israel

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 03:51:43 PM »
Michael

lovely plants.I especially like the aristolochia. I have grown elegans which is much smaller and wish I had the climate for some of the larger ones.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Michael

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 04:34:42 PM »
Paul,

I guess you could grow the thunbergia, it flowers well potted up, but the jade vine would be a little more complicated. This thunbergia never had set seeds, not even one, but i am still trying to pollinate it to get the seeds... I guess i need the pollen from a different clone. If someday i get seeds, would you be interested? You never lose nothing by giving it a try ;)

Miriam, you are so right, aristolochias are so stubborn and have irregular germination. They sometimes can stay dormant up to a year before germinating. I would advise you to water the seeds with gibberelic acid. Or if you have the opportunity to get fresh seeds (by fresh i mean, just collected from the plant), do not wait and plant them right away!

Tony, if you like the larger ones, go for Aristolochia gigantea instead. At least that one doesnt stink and the flower gets even bigger than A. grandiflora. I think that A. gigantea is even more prettier :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 04:38:08 PM by Michael »
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 08:18:29 PM »
A north of the North Island friend grows these but his climate is subtropical. They're way too tender for my part of the world.

96554-0

Andrew Broome who posts here occasionally sent me this picture the other day. It is Aristolochia fimbriata.

I went out to take a picture of A. longa, a little ground twiner with meercat-like, green flowers. But it has finished and has lots of seed, if anyone would like some in a few weeks. It is quite hardy and deciduous. I grow it in a large trough where it dangles over the side but it would climb too.

Michael I haven't forgotten some more Tecomanthe cuttings but I'm waiting until their owner is home from holidays. I'll warn you in advance.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Michael

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 08:55:38 AM »
Hi Lesley!

Sorry i missed this :(

Anyway thanks for reminding. But there is no hurry  ;)
That Tecomanthe is even more special than the Jade vine to me  :D :D
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 09:33:09 AM »
Excuse my ignoranse but what is a Jade wine - Apart from being beautiful of course ;)
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 09:42:05 AM »
Gote,

Its Strongylodon macrobotrys.  Racemes are about 3 feet long from memory, and the colour of jade.  Astonishing colour when you see a plant in full flower.  Unfortunately somewhat too tropical for here.

Michael,

Yep, I'd love to try seed if you manage to get it to set.  You're right though, by the sound of it you need a second clone to get it.  Then again, sometimes the conditions can be just right one year and things set seed that normally don't.  You just never know!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 01:30:03 PM »
Paul, i had just noticed that our botanical garden also grows one, and with a bit of luck it will be another distinct clone. Next time i go there i will bring some flowers to try and pollinate this one, wish me luck!  :)

Göte, there are more jade coloured plants, like Lachenalia viridiflora, Ixia viridiflora and Puya berteroniana :) They are all interesting!
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 04:30:28 AM »
Michael,

Maybe you can just collect some pollen from the Bot Gardens.  I'm sure they frown on people picking the flowers.  ;) ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 09:18:31 AM »
Dont worry Paul :)

I forgot to mention that i will ask for the flowers, i have good relations with our botanical garden :)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Just checking.  ;)  I work at a Botanic Garden, and I would  not like people coming through and picking MY flowers.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:01:05 AM by Maggi Young »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 01:55:40 PM »
So funny I read it as Michel would bring a flower of his to the botanical garden to pollinate theirs and only from Paul´s comment I got that it was the other way round. Maybe doing both would make them happier and maybe increase chances? Pollinating also their plant and then split the seeds from Yours and theirs to get a bigger mix?
Nice climbers and good luck.
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 09:54:50 AM »
Here's a pretty (awful) little creature for you all to look at: Aristolochia cymbifera  :o If you want any seeds, I should have plenty - I'll check...
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal