We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Acis tingitana  (Read 5450 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Acis tingitana
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 08:05:34 PM »
Today the pronunciation of the Latin 'c' is always like an English 'c' of car for example. In German this is similar to 'k'.

Yes, I was assuming it should be pronounced 'akkiss', as in the current accepted 'English'-taught Latin style of pronunciation. But we've had discussions about Latin pronunciation before! Also, English gardeners do some odd things with Latin names - e.g. Acer should strictly speaking be pronounced 'Akker' but everyone I know (English gardeners, that is) say 'Aesser'. I suppose Acis hasn't been around in common use for long enough to be Anglicised yet, so I'll go along with Akkiss. My initial reaction on seeeing it, though, thanks to our English pronunciation of Acer was to say 'Aessis'.  But 'Akkiss' it is.  :-[
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 08:07:41 PM »
Actually, I think 'Aessis' sounds nicer than 'Akkiss', and Leucojum runs off the tongue easier than either. I think it'll be a while before I start thinking of them as Acis, I'm sorry to say.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 08:15:05 PM »
I suppose Acis hasn't been around in common use for long enough to be Anglicised yet, so I'll go along with Akkiss. My initial reaction on seeeing it, though, thanks to our English pronunciation of Acer was to say 'Aessis'.  But 'Akkiss' it is. 

Acis as a genus hasn't been around very long.  But in musical circles, the oratorio Acis and Galatea has been known and sung for some time (see previous Wikipedia link)  and in those circles (in the UK anyway), it is pronounced
Ay-sis.  I think Ack-is is probably more "correct" but it's hard to break habits

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 09:24:22 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 08:18:58 PM »
Actually, I think 'Aessis' sounds nicer than 'Akkiss', and Leucojum runs off the tongue easier than either. I think it'll be a while before I start thinking of them as Acis, I'm sorry to say.
...but, do you say loocojum or loocoyum, Martin ?   ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 09:12:17 PM »
Acis as a genus hasn't been around very long.  But in musical circles, the oratorio Acis and Galatea has been known and sung for some time (see previous Wikipedia link)  and in those circles (in the UK anyway), it is pronounced Ay-sis.  I think Ack-is is probably more "correct" but it's hard to break habits

Good to see the seeds of confusion are already sown.   ;D   

Maggi, Loocojum. You?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 10:47:19 PM »
Loocojum, Martin  ;D After all, the BD and I are founder members of the Loocojocks Appreciation Society and it wouldn't have the same ring if we were loocoyocks..... we are ,similarly , members of the locojocks club, for mildly deranged Scots folks... los of people confuse these two august societies, as I'm sure you know  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 12:08:17 AM »
It's all Greek to me! ;)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 07:00:03 AM »
thank you Hans. I have it but not seen bloom yet. I pronounced Acis as assis and sometimes axis 'ak-ssis' because i find better to hear in french but akis is better for the scientific international and historical reason
do

Pontoux France

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal