We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Top of the 'drops  (Read 14932 times)

Eric Locke

Re: Top of the 'drops
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2010, 10:15:22 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

steve owen

« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2010, 08:12:08 PM »
I don't even have no. 1 as described; just a few unhappy clumps in some of the less-hospitable parts of my garden.  If Steve has the time I would be very interested to hear about the particular merits of snowdrops 2 to 10 in his list. 
Hi Alan and others
Sorry to be slow to respond.
I'll try to do so briefly;
St Annes is listed and pictured at P.268 in the Book. Its attraction for me is as a tight knit clump with distinctive narrow leaves and flowers like small pearl drops.
Bill Bishop listed and pictured at p.229. The winning combination for me is a large bell-shaped flower borne close to the ground on quite a small plant, and one that readily clumps up.
Margaret Biddulph must be one of the best virescents, originating I believe from Simon Biddulph at Rodmarton (here and generally I am happy to be put right if in error). I found I didn't have a pic of my own and I hope Mark will forgive me if I include for ease of reference one of the excellent pics from his website.
Savill Gold is listed and pictured at p.94 of the Book. I include it because my challenge is to grow this reluctant grower into something healthy and impressive. If anyone can post a pic of such a clump I would be greatly encouraged!
Esther Merton is for me the most perfect double I have seen - better and daintier than Ailwyn. Pic included. Too early for me to say how easy it is to grow.
Marlie Raphael is at p.185 of the Book, but is a mystery lady. An elwesii with distinctive glaucous leaves, it appears that there is some variability around the inner markings; some are as the pic in the Book, others have an upper mark and two lower marks. The soft lime-green markings of inners and outers are common across the variants.
Woronowii Cider with Rosie is another I don't have my own pic for; I include a nice one from Judy's Snowdrops website and hope that doesn't offend. The combination of bright green leaves and the delicate lime-green markings is a winning one.
Rev Hailstone is one of my very earliest; with a wonderful scent; very vigorous. I believe it may be Michael Broadhurst's plant ex-Anglesey Abbey.
Finally Alan's Treat. From Alan Street at Avon Bulbs; green tips to both outers and inners, vigorous, a super plant to grow. My piuc comes from the German website Galanthus-online.de to whom thanks of course.
I MUST take more photos next year.....
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

steve owen

« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2010, 08:13:53 PM »
Only 1 attached pic appeared with the post. Back in a mo....
Beds/Bucks border

steve owen

« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2010, 08:19:01 PM »
Here are the missing pics....
Beds/Bucks border

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2010, 08:26:40 PM »
Steve,

A wonderful selection of snowdrops and I can understand how you have listed them as your favourites.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

steve owen

« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2010, 08:27:23 PM »
and here are the remainder....
Beds/Bucks border

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2010, 08:45:59 PM »
Thank you Steve, CIDER WITH ROSIE looks very impressive.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2010, 07:31:45 AM »
Thanks, Steve, that looks like a wonderful selection of snowdrops.  Many of them had 'passed under my radar', presumably because they are so rare you never get to see them.
Almost in Scotland.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2010, 10:31:42 AM »
I do like 'Alan's Treat'. 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal