We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Meconopsis from garden visit  (Read 3273 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Meconopsis from garden visit
« on: May 25, 2009, 06:57:12 PM »
Hi,  I went to visit a garden with our North Northumberland group last week.  This meconopsis was just wonderful.  Can't remember the species name, but I remember being told that mostly you get them with the label on the seed, but rarely do they come true to the species.  This one did.  Has distinct spots on the foliage.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Meconopsis from garden visit
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 07:10:40 PM »
Vicious looking creature, isn't it, for one so small and blue!
M. horridula, I reckon, tho' one of the Mec bods will say more, I expect.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Roma

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 10:29:48 PM »
Definitely Mec. horridula group.  I think the one with spotty leaves is called Meconopsis rudis.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 10:41:06 PM »
Extremely horrid - but wonderful. Horridula itself doesn't have the black spots, or mine doesn't anyway. It is monocarpic for me but seeds all right. The prickles are vicious and if you get one in your finger it can go septic and nasty, very quickly. Avoid them at all costs.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 12:30:11 PM »
Roma, you hit the nail on the head, that's exactly the name we were told - M. rudis.  I knew it began with an r, but couldn't think of the name when I posted.  Thanks for that!  It really was a stunning plant.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 12:24:13 PM »
It is, isn't it.  Quite stunning.  I love the prickles, and of course the lovely blue Mec flowers.  Looks great.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul E.

• Home is where the bog is
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 03:42:29 PM »
There's a really good article in the Rock Garden from a couple of years back .. 'Meconopsis hybrids' by James Cobb. It would appear that no pure horridula-esque species remain completely pure. Though this one seems distinctively rudis indeed!

How is Mec cultivation out your part of the world Paul? From what I understand the horridua of hort. has been pursuaded into a good deal of toleratane to heat over all these years.
Paul - pursuing Himalayan alpines down at 2m above sea level

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 11:08:21 PM »
It certainly does well in New Zealand though our summers can't compare for heat with Paul's in Australia. But as a biennial, it's OK anyway. It's the perennials that have to survive through the later, hotter, drier part of summer that suffer.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 04:03:35 AM »
Never managed to successfully grow a blue mec here as yet Lesley, unfortunately.  Probably our summers.  I'll work it out one day how to do it.  Probably another that I need to grow from seed (although hopefully do better than your Mec grandis seed a few years ago which germinated and grew for a couple of weeks before dying  ::)).
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal