We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Growing Crocus in South Africa  (Read 3942 times)

Calvin Becker

Growing Crocus in South Africa
« on: November 23, 2008, 04:17:49 PM »
Hi all

I've recently joined the forum and thought it's time to introduce myself and start asking a few questions. :)

I live in South Africa and I mainly grow bulbs. The majority are of South African origin. I have become interested in growing Crocus, probably because they are almost impossible to obtain locally. I ,however, have no experience with growing Crocus and was wondering what the likelihood of them performing here would be? Are there any easy species for a beginner to try?

Thanks for any help!

Calvin
Plant pathologist (in training)
Johannesburg/Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Growing Crocus in South Africa
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 04:30:15 PM »
Hello, Calvin, good to have you join us!
There are many experienced crocus growers in this forum who I am sure will have advice for you. :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 04:37:54 PM »
Interestingly, we had a recent thread in the General section, where Peter Flory asked about growing crocus in Goa....not that much hope seemd forthcoming about his chance os success, but in South Africa your clomate may be a little kinder to them, Calvin, though I am doubtful  :-\

It seems that the charm of these bulbs is enticing folks from all countries to want to grow them  :).... I cannot say I am surprised!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 05:01:26 PM »
Calvin

Where in South Africa are you living?  It helps to know before we comment on your likely success with Crocus
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 09:24:59 PM »
There is a thread on growing South African bulbs.  It may be that some of these growers also grow crocus and some may even be able to relate to your part of the world.  Worth a look perhaps?

matoutdoors

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 10:50:35 PM »
Gidday Calvin.. I can give you some advise on growing Crocus in climates such as yours... When I originaly started with Crocus I lived on the Coast, north of Sydney, Australia...I found the Crocus that did well for me were all the Autumnal flowering ones... especially those from medditeranian areas such a greece.... also a few of the winter ones from warmer areas such as Crocus imperati etc... You probably wont have much success growing ones such as Crocus vernus, chrysanthus etc etc... they need long cool winters to do well....

Hope this helps...

mat

Member from the Blue Mountains. West of Sydney, Australia. Particularly interested in Crocus, Allium, Corydalis and Fritillaria

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:46:53 AM »
Hello and a warm welcome, Calvin!

You could have a look to my reply to the same question, asked by Rogan in August 2007:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=680.msg16908#msg16908

Hope this helps
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Calvin Becker

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 12:52:20 PM »
Hi

Thanks to everbody for the welcome and the replies!

Thomas, what a co-incidence that you mention Rogan as I too live in Pietermaritzburg and have only recently met him. I'll be sure to ask him about his experiences.

I used to only grow South African stuff but I went to this year's Chelsea Flower Show and saw all the amazing things on show by Avon Bulbs, Alpine Garden Society etc. and realised what i was missing out on! Crocus are probably only the start! :)

Now that I have an idea of what to start with, who and where are the best places  to start obtaining seeds and/or plants from?

Plant pathologist (in training)
Johannesburg/Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Ezeiza

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 02:05:29 PM »
Hi Calvin:

We grew many species here near Buenos Aires, Argentina, where winters are mild and windy and the rest of the year we have a loooong summer. This is rather recent (4-5 years) as in the past we have four seasons a year.

Our crocuses, colchicums, fritillarias, tulips, etc. are all in a south facing huge bed where they receive strong light but in all little direct sunshine. This may sound odd to our northern Hemisphere friends but it must be mention than sunshine is so intense that the plants grow to perfection without the sun hours required up north.

Our bulbs/corms are in 20 litre plastic buckets and are left in them year round. If summers are too rainy (HA! we are becoming a desert) we just put the lids on for the summer.

Can you mention your highs and lows?

Best
Alberto
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 11:03:53 AM »
Calvin, please post Rogan's experiences here as an information for other interested forum readers.

I can also second Alberto's comments: On my journey's through France and Italy I always found Crocus in shaded areas under deciduous trees or under rocks, never in full sun except in high alpine areas.
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal