We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Campanula 'Edward Forrest'  (Read 1512 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Campanula 'Edward Forrest'
« on: November 20, 2008, 11:45:13 AM »
Some time ago I bought Graham Nicholls' book 'Dwarf Campanulas and Associated Genera' and resolved to try some of them. I was particularly smitten by one in particular, Campanula 'Edward Forrest' which was raised by John Forrest, a cross between C. betulifolia and C. trogerae, and named in memory of his brother who died in an aircraft tragedy and also of his father, also Edward Forrest. After a fruitless search for a supplier I wrote to John to see if he had the plant but John explained he had lost it, with many of his other plants due to a lack of good husbandry forced by his arthritis problems.

As a result of my posting on the Forum Luc kindly offered me seed from C. betulifolia but unfortunately a combination of our lousy Summer and the bees failing to do their stuff rendered empty seed pods.

I was pleased to see, in the new Seed Ex. List, that seed from C.'Edward Forrest', C. betulifolia and C. trogerae are all listed and these will be on my priority 'wish list'. If I am not lucky enough to get them then expect further pleas from me on the Forum.

I am not sure if the doner of seed from C. 'Edward Forrest' is a Forum reader but if so and you have a cutting available then John might well appreciate a line from you.

Having said all that it is some time now since we had some of John's excellent pictures of plants and wild life and words of wisdom, so if you are reading this John I hope you are keeping reasonably well and hope you feel able to contribute again soon.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Campanula 'Edward Forrest'
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 12:21:32 PM »
An excellent idea, David, to seek a cutting for John  from the seed donor.... I do hope the person is reading this.
 I will approach Stuart Pawley to see if there is any chance that he may be able to identify the donor though I have no idea if he will have such a record....... ???

I believe JoF does pop into the Forum from time to time but I think he feels so frustrated with his own inability to garden these days that it is tough for him to see all the fine plants and gardens here.... salt in his wounds, really. I can understand that.
 However, he is busy with various non-plant related photographic projects- and we all know his prowess in that field, too, so our friend is creatively engaged, if not in this arena!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 01:16:27 PM »
... in a cockney accent; 'It ain't the same wivout yer, John'!!!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 07:36:01 PM »
I second that, with bells. I often think of you John, as plants from your seeds are growing well here.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal