We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Celmisias dying  (Read 1610 times)

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
Celmisias dying
« on: November 09, 2008, 05:26:54 PM »
I have had this plant for a very long time and from one plant I created about 10 or so which flowered and grew well. I never got viable seed the new plants were all created by breaking off a new shoot and rooting it beside the mother plant. For some years I have not had many any new shoots (well one this year) and most have died about 4 this year. These appear to wilt and when examined are shown to be rotting off inside the crown.

These have been wonderful plants and I would hate to be without them.  Does anyone know the variety and is there anything I can do? :(

By the way only one of these 3 is still alive
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:33:53 PM by ian mcenery »
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Celmisias dying
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 08:39:39 PM »
They look like Celmisia semicordata (syn. coriacea) or perhaps one of the many hybrids of this plant which have come from Ireland or Inshriach in Scotland in former years. Can't be quite sure though. If you've had it so long Ian, you are to be congratulated in a major way. At best, in lowland conditions, celmisias, especially the larger-leaved kinds, tend to be short-lived and do, in fact, rot off in the rosettes. Unless there are side rosettes, that's the end. You in the UK, especially the cooler parts, grow them more easily than we do, with hotter, drier summers. My personal theory about how Alan Furness is able to succeed so often, is to do with cold winds and mists from the north sea.

Perhaps yours has just come to the end of its natural life. Sorry to be so negative. Someone else will be able to give a more hopeful outcome.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
Re: Celmisias dying
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 12:11:54 AM »
Thanks for your comments Lesley. I did wonder how long such plants would live and also the last 2 summers have been very wet and some of these poor things have treid to flower twice obviously weakening them. All I can do is hope.

I got this like many of my long held gems from Percy Picton around 30 + years ago. I think I remember him saying that this came from Inshriach and as it never seems to have set seed perhaps it is a hybrid and sterile. I did manage to strike a sideshoot this year but the plant seems to have lost its vigour.

Funny you should mention Alan Furness because he is due to be the main speaker next week at our AGS Birmingham groups  Roy Elliot memorial lecture so perhaps  I could pick his brains
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal