We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: News from the Crocus Group  (Read 103813 times)

Klaus Hu

crocus with 8 tepals
« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2018, 02:43:09 PM »
Who can explain the 8 tepals of this crocus, which is a hybrid of two tommasinianus varieties?
Beside the 4 inner and 4 outer tepals this crocus has 4 anthers and a stigma which is quartered.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: crocus with 8 tepals
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2018, 05:13:15 AM »
Who can explain the 8 tepals of this crocus, which is a hybrid of two tommasinianus varieties?
Beside the 4 inner and 4 outer tepals this crocus has 4 anthers and a stigma which is quartered.
Mistakes during ontogenesis of flower parts when they were formed during summer rest period. This year many crocuses (actually not "many" but more than usually) had such flowers, some even 12 and more flower parts instead of normal 6. I suppose - induced by high temperature.
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Klaus Hu

crocus with 8 petals
« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2018, 01:03:27 PM »
Helo Tony,
did you see a spring blooming crocus with 8 petals? See the attached foto. It is a hybrid of tw tomassinianus varieties with 4 inner and 4 outer petals, 4 anthers and a quartered stigma. Do you have any idea what happened with this crocus?
Kindest regards Klaus

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: News from the Crocus Group
« Reply #183 on: November 22, 2018, 01:07:12 PM »
Helo Tony,
did you see a spring blooming crocus with 8 petals? See the attached foto. It is a hybrid of tw tomassinianus varieties with 4 inner and 4 outer petals, 4 anthers and a quartered stigma. Do you have any idea what happened with this crocus?
Kindest regards Klaus
Happens quite often - there have been several reports of such flowers in the forum over the years. It is not usually a stable feature.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2019, 07:02:14 PM »
Timely reminder from Wim Boens !

"For all Croconuts who are a member of the Crocus Group, these guys are popping up already, so please don't forget to harvest some seeds for our seedex!!! "

634409-0

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2019, 07:48:07 PM »
Almost ready, please don't forget to collect the seeds and send them in to the Crocus Group Seedex.  :D

Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2019, 02:38:33 PM »
A comment  on the virtue  of the  Crocus  Group Seed Exchange to  a member in  New  Zealand ... ( this goes for  other  seed exes as well, of course!) ......  "Please do collect seed for the exchange. It is our only route for importation into New Zealand, as we are not permitted to bring bulbs into our country. We really do appreciate the seed exchange!
This weekend I have planted out pots of tiny crocus bulbs I germinated from the 2017 seed exchange...thanks a million to those who donated. Hopefully I will have pics to post in a couple of years! "

Email Wim Boens for  any  seed  exchange  questions    : seedexcrocusgroup@gmail.com

Send  Crocus seed to the Crocus Group Seed  Exchange    -
Wim Boens, Brugesteenweg 17, 8750 Wingene, Belgium

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 12:58:06 PM by Maggi Young »

Crocus Group SRGC Team

• The Crocus Pages
« Reply #187 on: April 18, 2019, 08:36:58 PM »
Dear fellow-Croconuts,

the time has come again to ask for your donations of Crocus-seeds and corm(let)s. The pods are forming already and they promise a good seedset, so I’m looking forward to getting a lot of seeds from many people all over the world…with your cooperation we can share those wonderful gems with each other, so a big thank you goes out to all donors in advance. Please don’t hesitate to send in small amounts of seeds, even a couple of seeds can make someone else very happy! Also, seeds of more common species and cultivars are more than welcome, since they are especially good for starting croconuts and people who want to sow them directly in the garden to get a more naturalised look.
This year, as in the previous years, I will be accepting corms and cormlets in the exchange too. It has shown to be a good formula; many members only want seed, but quite a few like to get young cormlets or some bigger flower-sized corms too. So if you have any corms and/or cormlets to spare, please send them in.
Here’s the rundown: like in the previous year’s it’s the aim of the seed exchange to get Crocus seed to members as close as possible to the correct time for them to be sown during the higher temperatures of late summer for optimal germination. Crocus seed has been shown to germinate best if sown during the higher temperatures of late summer before the lower temperatures of autumn and winter initiate germination. The best time for sowing is therefore at the same time as nature does it in the wild, when the ripe seed is expelled from the mature seedpod in late spring to early summer. For that reason, we normally ask members to send seed as soon as possible after they have collected it, and in any case before the 15th of August.
During the last weeks of August, I’ll compose the list and e-mail it to members who have requested it (Donors who are members will receive the list automatically). Your request for the seedlist should reach me before the 15th of August too. See e-mail address below.
Donors will be allowed to choose from the list first and non-donors will also be able to make a choice from the list and I will take into account what they ask for as well. Orders should reach me by e-mail before the 15th of September. I will try to send all orders out before the end of September. Seeds should be sown immediately and left exposed to the weather until they germinate, after which they may be brought under cover.
Price for ordering seeds is 5 €/order. To be paid with the order, before the 15th of September.
Requests for the seedlist should be e-mailed (before the 15th of August) to: seedexcrocusgroup@gmail.com
Donations of seed and corm(let)s can be send to:
(For the UK):
Tony Goode, 3 Woodland Road, Hellesdon, Norwich. NR6 5RA
(For the rest of the world):
Wim Boens
Brugsesteenweg 17
8750 Wingene
Belgium

With the kindest regards
Wim

Regarding the Nagoya Protocol:
The reputation of the Crocus Group is at risk if we offer seed that has been collected illegally, or that does not have permission for distribution. This could do harm to future attempts to people who want to collect legitimately. The Crocus Group is not able to check every seed submission, so please do not submit seed that would put our reputation at risk. Please also retain documentation giving any relevant permission for as long as possible!

Crocus Group SRGC Team

• The Crocus Pages
« Reply #188 on: August 20, 2019, 01:53:56 PM »
From Wim Boens about the  Crocus  Group Seed  List:

This year’s list is a lot smaller (both in individual species/cultivars as in seeds received) than the list of the former years. A lot of people reported a bad seedset, some even lost a big part of their collection. We almost didn’t receive any wild-collected seeds and some of the bigger donors had no seeds to give this year Let’s hope next year is a lot better! As always, let me start with a huge thank you to the donors; without you guys, we couldn't do this, so THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Here goes! Seedlist in the attachment. All of you (non-donors TOO) can e-mail your wishlist! You may ask for up to 20 packets of seed, but a lot this year are in short supply, and donors get the first pick. Just e-mail me a list of twenty numbers and make sure to add your name and address. Please add a list of possible 2nd choices so I can send you some of those if your 1st choices are no longer available. Please send your wishlist before the 15th of September

Also please inform me of things I have to know when sending seeds to your country. Within the E.U. there's no problem but I'm not sure about members in the U.S. and in Australia and New-Zealand.

This year we have some cormlets for offer too, these can only be sent to members within the E.U.

PAYMENT!!

The funds of the Crocus Group have dried up. So, from last year on, we ask for a payment of 5 € for any seed request.

Payment should accompany the request and should reach me before the 15th of September. If I haven’t received your payment by that time, I won’t be able to send out your requested seeds.

There are three ways to pay:

1 For people in the Eurozone, it might be easiest and cheapest to pay directly into my bank account. Just request my bank-data with your order and I’ll mail you my IBAN and Swift codes.

2 You can pay to my Paypal-account: it’s this address: seedexcrocusgroup@gmail.com. Please make sure you pay me 5 € with all costs for you (as a gift).

3 You can mail a banknote of 5 € to this address:

Wim Boens

Brugsesteenweg 17

8750 Wingene

BELGIUM

Seeds will be dispatched within the last two weeks of September. You’ll be notified by e-mail when your seeds have been sent out.

Crocus  Group Seedlist 2019 : * Seedlist Crocus Group 2019.pdf (158.2 kB - downloaded 210 times.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:56:52 PM by Crocus Group SRGC Team »

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2020, 10:13:29 AM »
The seedpods are popping up...Please don't forget to collect the seeds and send them in to the Crocus Group seed-exchange!!

659353-0
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #190 on: April 20, 2020, 10:32:00 AM »
The request for Crocus seed donations has been sent out today. If you want to participate in the Crocus Group Seed-exchange (as a donor or non-donor) and you haven't received the mail, you can contact me via PM.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

littlenorm

« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2020, 09:01:38 PM »
I would like participate in the Crocus Group Seed-exchange (as a donor or non-donor)  I haven't received the mail,

could you add me also do  i need to send 5EURS

Many Thanks

Norman Atkinson

littlenorm

« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2020, 09:35:03 PM »
The request for Crocus seed donations has been sent out today. If you want to participate in the Crocus Group Seed-exchange (as a donor or non-donor) and you haven't received the mail, you can contact me via PM.

littlenorm30@hotmail.co.uk

littlenorm

« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2020, 08:02:29 AM »
 participate in the Crocus Group Seed-exchange (as a donor or non-donor) i you haven't received the mail,

from littlenorm30@hotmail.co.uk

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2021, 03:03:07 PM »
Crocus veneris from Crocus Group seed 2016, sown 27-04-2017, first flower 11-05-2021
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal