We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: News from the Crocus Group  (Read 104316 times)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
Re: News from the Crocus Group
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2014, 09:07:47 PM »
Thanks for posting the Newsletter here Maggi. 

Good news!  There have been a couple of volunteers to help run the group and the Seed Exchange.  I am hoping it will be business as usual again soon.  To run a seed exchange we do need SEED so if any readers have crocus seed please consider sending it to the CG exchange.  In the first instance contact me : crocusgroupathotmail.co.uk

More details to follow.

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2014, 11:59:39 PM »
Hi Tony,

I'll send some seed mate. Be in touch.

Cheers, Marcus

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2014, 02:02:15 AM »
Hi Tony, I got my newsletter OK, thanks. Did you get an email from me? I sent it a few days ago right after I had the newsletter. I had a couple of suggestions re seed sources but I don't remember whether I sent it to you or the Crocus Group address. My newsletter came in a batch of other addresses as well and when I sent mine back I think there was one that was rejected as undeliverable but I'm not sure whether the others were OK or whether it meant that none had been delivered.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2014, 12:50:06 PM »
Hi Tony, I got my newsletter OK, thanks. Did you get an email from me? I sent it a few days ago right after I had the newsletter. I had a couple of suggestions re seed sources but I don't remember whether I sent it to you or the Crocus Group address. My newsletter came in a batch of other addresses as well and when I sent mine back I think there was one that was rejected as undeliverable but I'm not sure whether the others were OK or whether it meant that none had been delivered.
Hi Lesley - yes, thanks I did get the email.  Have not yet found time to reply to everyone who wrote  :'(

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2014, 01:09:52 PM »
Hi Tony
Is it possible to send you some bulbs or bulbills when no seeds for exchange ? Thank you
Dom
do

Pontoux France

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2014, 11:41:51 PM »
Hi Tony
Is it possible to send you some bulbs or bulbills when no seeds for exchange ? Thank you
Dom
Yes, these can be included in the exchange  :)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2014, 09:21:33 AM »
Excellent News!

John Grimshaw (UK) and Matt Murray (AUS) have offered to become joint Secretary/Newsletter Editors, doing half a year each to reflect the different seasons N & S of the Equator.

Wim Boens (Belgium) will be the Seed Exchange Manager.

I will continue to deal with membership enquiries.

So we have a new Committee and the promise of new life for the Crocus Group  :)

A Newsletter will be emailed to members this week detailing the changes and the planned 2014 Seed Exchange.

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2014, 09:51:58 AM »
Excellent news indeed!
Thanks to all those who have stepped in to keep the group going, both the new committee and seed/bulb donors.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2014, 09:55:02 AM »
This is very good news indeed. The extensive  Croconut community here will be relieved to hear this. 
Naturally, the SRGC Forum will continue to offer a home for the Group to enter discussions with all the Crocus enthusiasts and to keep the Crocus Pages up to date.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:33:42 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2014, 10:50:04 AM »
Thanks Maggi and thanks also to you and SRGC for supporting us in the various ways that you continue to do this.

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2014, 03:38:18 PM »
When does the exchange run? I am repotting now and have quite a lot of spare C. mathewi plus a few other spare Crocus corms in very small numbers (all desirable I think) that I'd love to contribute.

Alex

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2014, 11:01:51 PM »
When does the exchange run? I am repotting now and have quite a lot of spare C. mathewi plus a few other spare Crocus corms in very small numbers (all desirable I think) that I'd love to contribute.

Alex

UK donors send to me by 31st August.  Overseas donors to Wim Boens.  I will forward all UK donations as one package to save UK donors EU postage but you are welcome to send direct to Wim also if you wish.  A newsletter should reach members in the next 24 hours.

Here's an advance view of the Seed-ex details

Hello to all Croconuts,
I’m the new seedex-manager and I’ll try to do as wonderful a job as David has done in past.
So, let’s get started; like in the previous year’s it’s the aim of the seed exchange to get Crocus seed to members as close as possible to the correct time for them to be sown during the higher temperatures of late summer for optimal germination. Crocus seed has been shown to germinate best if sown during the higher temperatures of late summer before the lower temperatures of autumn and winter initiate germination. The best time for sowing is therefore at the same time as nature does it in the wild, that I when the ripe seed is expelled from the mature seedpod in late spring to early summer. For that reason we normally ask members to send seed as soon as possible after they have collected it, and in any case before the 31st of July.
Since this year I’ve taken over the job a bit late, we’re moving the date to the 31st of August.
During the first week of September I’ll compose the list and e-mail it to members who have requested it (Donors who are members will receive the list automatically). Your request for the seedlist should reach me before the 31st of August too. See e-mail address below.
This year I’ll use the same system as David used last year, donors will be allowed to choose from the list, non-donors receiving pot luck. Next year (depending on the seeds we receive) I’ll see if I can get non-donors to make a choice from the list again. Orders should reach me by e-mail before the 30th of September. I will try to send all orders out before the end of October. Seeds should be sown immediately and left exposed to the weather until they germinate, after which they may be brought under cover.
Requests for the seedlist should be e-mailed (before the 31st of August) to: seedexcrocusgroup@gmail.com
Donations of seed can be send to:
(For the UK):
Tony Goode, 3 Woodland Road, Hellesdon, Norwich. NR6 5RA
Tony will forward all UK seed as one package, saving UK donors additional EU postage costs.

(For the rest of the world):
Wim Boens
Brugsesteenweg 17
8750 Wingene
Belgium

With the kindest regards
Wim
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:03:24 PM by tonyg »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2014, 12:11:47 AM »
Excellent News!

John Grimshaw (UK) and Matt Murray (AUS) have offered to become joint Secretary/Newsletter Editors, doing half a year each to reflect the different seasons N & S of the Equator.

Wim Boens (Belgium) will be the Seed Exchange Manager.

I will continue to deal with membership enquiries.

So we have a new Committee and the promise of new life for the Crocus Group  :)

A Newsletter will be emailed to members this week detailing the changes and the planned 2014 Seed Exchange.

This sounds really good and it's great that the tasks are spread around several countries. Truly an International Group. :D I promise I'll do my best with seed as it appears and maybe a short article or two.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2014, 04:20:50 PM »
Crocus Group Bulletin No. 43b : Summer 2014

Patron                 Brian Mathew    MBE VMH 

Committee         John Grimshaw                     
                             Mat Murray       

Wim Boens

Tony Goode

A New Committee

In the July Newsletter I appealed for help to breathe new life into the Crocus Group.  Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond.  You may have noted from the header above that we have a new committee.  Reflecting the international nature of our group the committee is drawn from members across the globe.  This will be my last Newsletter but I will be continuing to handle membership enquiries and to help co-ordinate the group activities. 

John Grimshaw (UK) and Matt Murray (AUS) who will be known to some of you, have jointly volunteered to take on the role of Secretary/Newsletter Editor.  Based at opposite ends of the world the plan is that John will report on the Northern growing season while Matt will do likewise for the southern hemisphere season.  Both are botanically trained and employed in horticulture, they will introduce themselves properly in the next Newsletter.

Wim Boens who lives in Belgium has taken on the role of Seed Exchange Manager.  Details of the planned 2014 Seed Exchange are included below.  Please take special note of the new Seed Exchange email address included below

Tony Goode

2014  Crocus Group Seed Exchange

Hello to all Croconuts,

I’m the new seedex-manager and I’ll try to do as wonderful a job as David has done in past.

So, let’s get started; like in the previous year’s it’s the aim of the seed exchange to get Crocus seed to members as close as possible to the correct time for them to be sown during the higher temperatures of late summer for optimal germination. Crocus seed has been shown to germinate best if sown during the higher temperatures of late summer before the lower temperatures of autumn and winter initiate germination. The best time for sowing is therefore at the same time as nature does it in the wild, that is when the ripe seed is expelled from the mature seedpod in late spring to early summer. For that reason we normally ask members to send seed as soon as possible after they have collected it, and in any case before the 31st of July.

Since this year I’ve taken over the job a bit late, we’re moving the date to the 31st of August.

During the first week of September I’ll compose the list and e-mail it to members who have requested it (Donors who are members will receive the list automatically). Your request for the seedlist should reach me before the 31st of August too. See e-mail address below.

This year I’ll use the same system as David used last year, donors will be allowed to choose from the list, non-donors receiving pot luck. Next year (depending on the seeds we receive) I’ll see if I can get non-donors to make a choice from the list again. Orders should reach me by e-mail before the 30th of September. I will try to send all orders out before the end of October. Seeds should be sown immediately and left exposed to the weather until they germinate, after which they may be brought under cover.

Requests for the seedlist should be e-mailed (before the 31st of August) to: seedexcrocusgroup@gmail.com

Donations of seed can be send to:
(For the UK):
Tony Goode, 3 Woodland Road, Hellesdon, Norwich. NR6 5RA

Tony will forward all UK seed as one package, saving UK donors additional EU postage costs.

(For the rest of the world):
Wim Boens
Brugsesteenweg 17
8750 Wingene
Belgium

With the kindest regards

Wim

------------------------------------

It is pleasing to see the Crocus Group beginning a new era.

If you love crocus and are not yet a member of the Crocus Group - why not join now? Contact Tony Goode.
Think of access to the Seed Exchange !  8)

Maggi

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:20:09 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Helen Johnstone

• New alpine enthusiast, who is keen to learn lots
    • The Patient Gardener
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2014, 11:48:48 AM »
I am planning to join - I presume the cheque is made out to Mr T Goode and not The Crocus Group?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal