We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wild Oxalis from North America?  (Read 2126 times)

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
Wild Oxalis from North America?
« on: October 29, 2008, 12:03:23 PM »
I got this one as a wild North American species. It has distinctive contrasting purple undersides to the leaves. Can anyone give it a name?
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Paddy Tobin

Re: Wild Oxalis from North America?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 07:22:39 PM »
Stephen,

Perhaps, Oxalis illinoensis which is a wild wood sorrel. Bit of a weed in the garden, certainly given favourable conditions it spreads with vigour.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 04:33:02 AM »
I was going to say it looks like the white flowered form of Oxalis oregana, "the redwood sorrel," but in fact it doesn't. That plant has quite pale green leaves. The pink-flowered form of Oxalis oregana does, however, have leaves much like those in your specimen.

Whatever it is, be very cautious about where you plant it. I started off with a small 4"/10 cm pot of the white Oxalis oregana and 10 years or so later it had filled an area roughly 8' in diameter. I dug up most of it summer 2007 (by hand using an ancient fern trowel), but this last summer some scraps of rhizome I'd missed sent up leaves. I anticipate I'll have to be alert for regrowth for several more years.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 12:16:11 AM »
Hello,

I can say that it is definitely not Oxalis illinoensis or grandis, the more common of the two species. Both these are large woodland plants with stems to nearly 60cm tall topped with lots of large soft yellow flowers. Both can spread by rhizomes, but neither are very weedy.

See here; http://tenn.bio.utk.edu/vascular/database/vascular-database.asp?CategoryID=Dicots&FamilyID=Oxalidaceae&GenusID=Oxalis&SpeciesID=illinoensis

There are pictures of both species here.

In my opinion that does look a lot like some O.oregona I have seen. You might look through CalFlora on the web. The selection of species, mostly western natives, and photos listed is very extensive.

Aaron Floden
 Knoxville, TN
 UT Herbarium
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal