We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Diplarrena species  (Read 3777 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Diplarrena species
« on: October 24, 2008, 07:56:43 PM »
I have seedlings of D. latifolia and D. moraea, could anyone advise me please if these species are Winter or Summer growers?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

Re: Diplarrena species
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 08:21:54 PM »
David,

I only grow D. moorea here. It flowers in summer. A lovely plant.

The photograph below was taken on the 3rd of June 2008.

Paddy
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:19:25 PM by Paddy Tobin »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 09:28:19 PM »
Winter.

I'd imagine the latifolia would be hardy for you; it's found in alpine sedgeland & heath. The moraea is a lowland species here - often as ground cover in dryish eucalypt forest.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 02:29:42 PM »
Hi David,  we have grown both these labels (they both turned out to be the same, D. morea, I think).  They flower in summer and have been seen on the show bench at Pudsey/St. Chads (Leeds) at the end of June.  Certainly worth growing.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 06:31:06 PM »
Thanks Paddy, Rob and Shelagh for responding but I'm still confused (a state I'm well used to!). I got the seeds from the last SRGC Seed Ex and sowed them early last March. As I wasn't sure how hardy they were, or indeed whether they were Winter or Summer growers, I kept them under glass. Nothing happened and about early August I took them out of the greenhouse and put them in my seed frame open to the weather where they have recently germinated. They are now back in the greenhouse. This suggested to me that they were Winter growers and Rob confirms this but Paddy and Shelagh seem to treat them as Summer growers, as must have those who had them on the bench in July at an AGS Show ???

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 06:37:18 PM »
David,

I should have mentioned for your information that I grow this plant in the open garden, in a relatively sheltered spot with protection from a nearby shrub but it is perfectly hardy and flowers well most years though not every one.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »
The eucalypt woods where D. moraea is found round here are winter wet/summer dry. It's evergreen and fairly drought tolerant but also adaptable enough to take advantage of any unseasonable rain that falls. Grow it in a well-drained but moist spot and it will probably think it's died and gone to heaven.

I'm less familiar with latifolia, since I don't live on a mountaintop, but I think it is similarly adaptable. It's found predominately in the west - cooler and wetter but low enough that there wouldn't be much in the way of snow cover (we've got a maritime climate; lack of continuous snow cover is the only thing which keeps us free from annoying skiers from the mainland). There's generally a strong winter precipitation maximum and periods without rain aren't uncommon in summer. Interestingly it seems to be the more variable of the two - I can think of at least two selections that have been offered for garden use.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 10:41:24 PM »
Both species flower here in summer and latifolia has been frost hardy but young plants have rotted through winter wet, so ???

There was a selection of latifolia from Ken Gillanders, called 'Amethyst Fairy.' DS in the Blue Mountains sent me quite a lot of seed from it but every one flowered white unfortunately.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 10:57:50 PM »
Yes, 'Amethyst Fairy" is one of the selections (registered as I recall), the other was from Sally J. Both varied from the norm in the amount of purple. I haven't seen either offered for some time. Would you like me to ask around for seed Lesley?
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 07:58:25 PM »
Thanks for your help folks.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 01:10:00 AM »
D. moraea is currently flowering in the Australian National Botanical Gardens, here in Canberra.  First flowers I've observed were this morning.  Beautiful!!  8)

I hadn't realised there were other selections of them.  Anyone have any pictures?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 01:13:50 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 02:59:46 AM »
Yes, 'Amethyst Fairy" is one of the selections (registered as I recall), the other was from Sally J. Both varied from the norm in the amount of purple. I haven't seen either offered for some time. Would you like me to ask around for seed Lesley?
That would be nice thanks Rob. I raised 30 seedlings from the other and though all were white, one may eventually get a purple colour if enough are raised or perhaps in a second generation.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal