We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: WEST OF SCOTLAND DISCUSSION WEEKEND 3rd - 5th OCTOBER 2008  (Read 13800 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: WEST OF SCOTLAND DISCUSSION WEEKEND 3rd - 5th OCTOBER 2008
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2008, 04:46:51 PM »
The nearest airport for next year's event in Edinburgh. Glasgow city is 24 miles to the west
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:10:02 PM by mark smyth »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2008, 04:48:43 PM »
As Grangemouth is 36 miles EAST of Clydebank I see no excuse for more of our European friends not attending. :D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 05:46:03 PM by David Shaw »
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2008, 04:50:04 PM »
4 Luit/Luc, you just need to hop or swim across that itsy little bit of water; we need to make a world trip   of it. Get in there next year and be grateful for the chance.

Lesley, I was thinking to follow Mark’s advice and put 7.50 EUR. every week aside,
(that makes 15.- for both of us),  but given the fact that banks are falling down like ripe apples, I don’t think that’s a good way.  :-\ :-\
So I asked my wife to find some old socks (without holes) where we can save our money  ;D ;D ;D

What strikes me is that so many of the delegates do not appear on this forum (yet ?) - why not ??  There's plenty of space left here for more people to join in 

Luc, the people you are referring to are to busy with growing plants and
don’t look on Forum sites so it doesnot help when writing this here.  ::) ::) ::)
Or they say that they are to old for computers and such modern things.
At least this is what I always hear when talking to friends about the Forum... :-[ :-[ :(
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Carol Shaw

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2008, 05:36:18 PM »
Here is the bottle of champagne donated by Helen and John Amand to the Auction....... and a close-up of the label to show the wording and SRGC Logo... great idea for a special celebration, isn't it?

John and Helen are both "Chevalier du Sable D'Or" and have tremendous knowledge of wines and champagne ......If Big John were to open this bottle, he would do so with a sweep of a special sabre..... opening the bottle cleanly with a single blow.... very dramatic and rather fun!

Well... that is one way of putting it - the first time he drew that sabre I thought it was my head he was after  ;)
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2008, 09:12:44 PM »
So I asked my wife to find some old socks (without holes) where we can save our money  ;D ;D ;D

Yes, I'm seriously thinking that the little I have in a savings account could be better used propping up the sagging middle of my mattress. Not that there's so much it would make much difference but it could well be safer. :-\
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2008, 10:48:36 PM »
The nearest airport for next year's event in Edinburgh. Glasgow city is 24 miles to the west

Edinburgh is nearer Mark. Only about 20 minutes by car. I know the venue well and must attend this one!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2008, 08:29:08 AM »
A million thank you Maggie for all the pictures, these show just how happy everyone was to share this special 75th anniversary weekend. The SRGC family extend a warm welcome to every member who can make it to our next Discussion Weekend  ( please join us SRGC)you will not be dissapointed, we will all share our love of the wee plants ( and some bigger ones). cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2008, 08:45:21 AM »
[Lesley, I was thinking to follow Mark’s advice and put 7.50 EUR. every week aside,
(that makes 15.- for both of us),  but given the fact that banks are falling down like ripe apples, I don’t think that’s a good way.  :-\ :-\

Luc, the people you are referring to are to busy with growing plants and
don’t look on Forum sites so it doesnot help when writing this here.  ::) ::) ::)
Or they say that they are to old for computers and such modern things.
At least this is what I always hear when talking to friends about the Forum... :-[ :-[ :(

Hi Luit - there's already 15 € in my sock now and 22,5 € next Monday  ;D ... no way the banks are going to get hold of this.. ;D

By the way, will I see you at the NRV meeting on Saturday in Utrecht ?? 
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2008, 09:35:46 AM »

I'm sorry Luc, most Saturdays are reserved for driving my grandson's footballteam. :-\
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2008, 09:54:54 AM »
Too bad Luit, but it sounds like a very pleasant alternative
 ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2008, 10:44:56 AM »

I'm sorry Luc, most Saturdays are reserved for driving my grandson's footballteam. :-\

The whole team? Do you have a bus Luit?

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2008, 12:56:25 PM »
No Anthony, it's an Estate. But with four 15 years old boys it is pretty full.  ;D ;D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2008, 03:33:23 PM »
Looking again at the photos of the folks at the weekend, I realise that there were a number of shy souls who were in attandance but who did not come forward for the Forumits' photo..... what a shame! I can ID  quite a few known registered forumists...... Jean ( I'll sit here quietly and no-one will notice me) Wyllie, Brian ( I'll get the hang of this if it kills me) Duncan, Evelyn Stevens, Margaret Thorne and Darren Sleep.......don't know how he managed to keep out of it? And that's just the ones that spring to mind....there were sure to be others who have registered secretly under strange psuedonyms ...... :P ::)
Missed some others... thanks, Jean for the hints.... Liz Mills and Sandy Leven...... any more, anyone?

Then, of course, there are that large category.... the Lurkers! Always amazes me how many people know exactly what is going on here but stay well below the radar ...... :-X ??? ;)

I see that at present the number of registered forumists is 654....not a bad percentage of the official SRGC figures of approximately 4500 members.....little surprise that so many new SRG members join via the website!! :D

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:17:38 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2008, 04:01:01 PM »
Maybe they think if they visit the Forum they'll be accosted by Lurcio or, woe woe and thrice woe, Senna? ;) My favourite was Stovus Primus. ;D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2008, 04:27:59 PM »
Maybe they think if they visit the Forum they'll be accosted by Lurcio or, woe woe and thrice woe, Senna? ;) My favourite was Stovus Primus. ;D
Mine was Ludicrus Sextus.........and I had a soft spot for the lovely Ammonia  ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal