We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Helleborus hybridization ?  (Read 11785 times)

Geebo

• Field of Blooms Nursery
Re: Helleborus hybridization ?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2007, 09:32:34 AM »
While on a visit to croatia I collected some wild species of Hellebores, they are starting to develop now after 2 years growing in pots,I am not too sure what species they are, perhaps "Istriacus" ???
In the picture you notice the different shade of the leaves ??would they be different varieties of the species?
Cheers Guy
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 05:23:15 PM by Maggi Young »
Ireland , Co Tipperary

http://www.fieldofblooms.ie

biodiversite

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2007, 06:44:27 PM »
Tim,
Now we can see that my plant is slightly pubescent : H. odorus then ?

Tim Murphy

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 07:11:55 AM »
Yes, definitely odorus. The flower shape and small bracts always pointed towards your plant being odorus and the tiny hairs and the form of the emerging leaf shoot confirm this. Slovene odorus is often a smaller, more delicate form of the species than you would see growing in other countries. At last, you can label your plant!

Guy, those plants are examples of H. istriacus. I have a lot of istriacus grown from seed I collected high up in the Ucka mountains in Croatia and a lot of these plants have young emerging foliage which is dark. I will try to get some photos posted later on this evening.

biodiversite

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 11:46:08 AM »
Thanks a lot Tim  :D

Tim Murphy

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2007, 08:54:09 PM »
Guy, below are some photos of young, emerging foliage of H. istriacus. All of these plants have been grown from seed collected at one site high up in the Ucka mountains, Croatia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal