We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Arisaema Sikokianum  (Read 9119 times)

ellen&dan

Re: Arisaema Sikokianum
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 08:23:58 PM »
A. wallichianum is a lovely Arisaema.  Thats what makes collecting wild seeds so much fun, waiting for it to flower and seeing what you get.
in Lancashire UK.

DavMac

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 07:22:23 AM »
Johan,
If you see no germination the first season it may be because the seed may be from a species such as Arisaema urashima. Such species don't produce an eophyll the first year, instead they just form a tuber.

David   
David McConachie, Korokoro, New Zealand

Johan Nilson

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 05:05:42 PM »
David,

Yes, I have heard about some species behaving that way. I will keep the seed boxes for at least another year and just hope for a delayed germination.

If you see no germination the first season it may be because the seed may be from a species such as Arisaema urashima. Such species don't produce an eophyll the first year, instead they just form a tuber.

Is there anyone who know wich Arisaema species that behave in this way?

Johan
Gothenburg/Sweden

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 12:43:49 AM »
John,

Keep them for a few years.  I've had germination of one species at least 3 years after sowing them.  I never throw out seed pots for a few years anyway, because you never can tell when the conditions will be "just right" for whatever it is to germinate.  One year I had Trillium seed germinate very well.... in pots that were 2, 3 or 4 years old.  All chose the same year to germinate as the conditions were obviously spot on that year.  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 08:34:11 PM »
Johan
That is an amazing tray of seedlings (you sure that it is not lettuce ::)). I sow my smaller quantities of seed in a small square pot and am delighted to see one seed germinate. The rest are a bonus. Good luck with them.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Johan Nilson

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 07:21:12 AM »
Paul,

I will keep my seed pots for a few more years, thats for sure. It is really hard to throw away any of the seed boxes, especialy the ones wich I have collected the seeds myself. I will probobly keep those boxes forever  ;)!

I cant wait til spring, to se what will germinate for me. This is what makes sowing so fantastic. -As long as you have seed boxes around, it could be christmas any day!
Johan
Gothenburg/Sweden

Johan Nilson

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 07:54:47 AM »
David,

Normaly I dont sow that amount of seeds. and nomaly I dont have that kind of luck. I guess that every single seed must have germinated in that box.

We grow a lot of Arisaemas in the nurery where I work, so some of the bulbs will eventually end up there.

The last cuple of days I have gone through about ten different first year old Arisaema seedlings. ANd I find it amazing how big the differenses are between different species. And that its also possible to see some of the species characters. The first one is A. sikkokianum. The other remain sp. the second picture is the one from the massive seed tray. I think that the last one could be A. nepentoides
Johan
Gothenburg/Sweden

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »
Johan,

The other thing I have found is that if you haven't had germination after a few years you should disturb the pot.  In the past I've had Fritillarias for example that have had germination over a couple of seasons, then I have ended up taking out the larger bulbs after about 3 years..... then I get more germination the following spring.  I know for absolute sure that it has happened with a couple of different Fritillarias, and an Erythronium, at the very least.  There is something about the disturbance that stimulates the remaining seeds to germinate.  Worth giving it a try before considering throwing out a seed pot.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 12:23:13 PM »
this autumn, I obtain seeds of Arisaema saxatile from mine. I will sow them immediatly to morrow. First trying
do

Pontoux France

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 12:53:22 PM »
In my optinion it is very easy to raise A. sikokianum from seeds.The fist flowers appear in the second growing season !, but only male flowers.But it is very difficult to obtain seeds.Every year I pollinate my plants, the seed heads break down before seeds reach maturity.So I hope this year is a better one....

With other Arisaema species it needs 4 or 5 years for the first flowers.

Here I want show a manmade hybrid: A. serratum x A. sik.
Gerhard
....from the South of Austria, near the border to Slovenia

www.cypripedium.at

Mavers

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 01:50:08 PM »
Hello everyone

Does anybody have any tips on sowing & germinating Arisaema sikokianum seeds?

Kind regards

Mike
Mike
Somerset, UK

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 03:12:32 PM »
I just got some of these from the AGS seedex and I'm looking for the same advice. The site:

http://www.onrockgarden.com/

says:

A 2 8 * sow thinly; keep dry when dormant; do not move for 2 years

A  Sow @ 20C. Seed germinates within 3 months.

2  Requires darkness.

8 Pulpy coat inhibits germination. Remove by soaking and rinsing in clean water daily for 7 days. Discard water.

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 03:47:03 PM »
Mike, David, this thread was already in existence so I have moved your posts to it!
 M
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mavers

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 04:57:43 PM »
Maggi you are wonderful!!

Thanks very much.

Mike
Mike
Somerset, UK

Eric Locke

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 08:06:49 PM »
Results from my sowings. :)
More are germinating every few days too. :)

Eric
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 10:23:03 PM by Eric Locke »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal