Specific Families and Genera > Iris

Iris humilis ?

(1/2) > >>

Gerhard Raschun:
Today I have got a divisions of Iris sp., which have been collected in Georgia / Kaukasus at 2500m in a very dry area.

I looks for me like a Psammiris.Mayby it is I. humilis, I don`t know exactly the spreading.

Mayby somebody can help ?

David Nicholson:
Gerhard, in Brian Mathew's 'The Iris' he has Iris humilis as a synonym of I. pontica.

"Dwarf tuft forming species about 10cm in height when in flower but with over-topping grassy leaves 2-4cm wide and upto 20-40cm long. Solitary flowershave stems only 1-4cm long and about 5-6cm in diameter with nearly orbicular blades to the falls, separated from the winged claw by a definite constriction. Flower colour is violet with whitish or pale greenish-yellow, vilet-veined area on the haft and the centre of the blade of the falls, and the whole flower is finely darker-veined. Capsule produced at or justabove ground level. It occurs in dryish steppe country in central and north-eastern Roumania, western Ukraine and the Caucuses, possibly extending eastwards into Russian Central Asia although it's exact distribution does not seem to be well known"

I hope this helps.

Gerhard Raschun:
Dear David,

many thanks for your informations.I know the species, it is in northeast of Austria native too.Some plants in my collection outside in the garden.But I have never heard about violet flower colour ?! All plants bloom in yellow, I`ll show a pict......

Now I have got further information : Plants has been colectted near the border Georgia / Azerbaijan.

David Nicholson:
Gerhard, it may be that things have moved on since Brian Mathew wrote 'The Iris' (1981) have a look at

http://www.badbear.com/signa/signa.pl?Iris-humilis

Gerhard Raschun:

--- Quote from: David Nicholson on October 04, 2008, 07:47:25 PM ---Gerhard, it may be that things have moved on since Brian Mathew wrote 'The Iris' (1981) have a look at

http://www.badbear.com/signa/signa.pl?Iris-humilis

--- End quote ---

Dear David,

there is written too: yellow colour with orange beard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version